GNCC280

Feb 21, 2005
Hello,
I am new to the site and I just purchased an 05 YZ125 and so far I love it. I am comming off a 2001 200EXC KTM and I loved the engine of that bike. Does anybody have any input on making the 125 run a little more like the 200(i.e. low end roll on power, less on/off power) I know it won't ever be just like the 200. I race GNCC's and AWRCS. My plan so far is a VForce 3, 9oz. Steahly Flywheel Weight, Pro Circut Platinum Pipe and possible a Pro Circuit Spark Arrestor. I'm installing Race Tech Gold Valves front and rear & reshiming the stacks. Other additions are Cycra Pro Bends, ZipTy Tank, Tag Privateer Kit, Scott Stabilizer and mounts. Any further help would be of great value.
Thanks,
Dan

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
I think you're on the ball with those mods.

Of course, lower gearing can help your low end. Short of porting your bike or getting a big-bore kit, it sounds like you've got a handle on it. You'll love the flywheel weight.Get some Michelin M12's on there for woods. An autoclutch is a cool add-on, but not necessary.

GNCC280

Feb 21, 2005
I normally run Pirelli's 32 rear and a Scorpion front. I was also thinking about the 12 tooth front sproket but I didn't think the Auto Clutch would work on the smaller 125's. My buddies race 450's and 250's and 200's with them and they all LOVE them. I will have to check into them. What do you guys think about the 9oz. as opposed to the 7 or 11 oz. weights?

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I was a long time 125 woods rider. Just loved the light weight. Ride a 250 now, just because I got tired of doing all those top-ends. On Suzuki's and Kawasaki's you can add low-end by shimming out the expansion chamber... meaning, simply adding more head-pipe length. (2-3-or 4 additional washers/gaskets). You'de be suprised how much of a low-end improvement you can get this way. I think Yamaha's have a different pipe flange, but you can probably work around it somehow. Carbon Tech's "low-end" reeds work well too. I even advance the ignition just slightly. And shaving off the base of the cylinder will help too, if you want to go that far, but you have to watch-out for the added compression... I never liked any form of additional flywheel on a 125, just too hard to get on the pipe. I've heard that the Yamaha's have decent low-end though. If I were you, I'd start with about an 8 oz. weight and have a machinist shave it down if it proves to bog you down. 125's are so fun, but you pay a price on nasty uphills... get on the gas, get aggresive, stand up, and be prepared to chase the rear-end around. But,... in flat, tight woods or on down hills, you will ROCK on your tiddler! Have fun.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom