justhemom

Oct 30, 2006
Ok , so I am jus' the mom to a MX rider, a frustrated one at that. He just got a new 07 honda CRF250, has not been on it for more than 30 min and now it won't even crank over. I have been accused of "having no clue", "don't understand" and many other terms, however, I do know that brand new bikes don't just break most of the time. my question is what could have happened to this bike. ??no oil? improperly broken in??? a lemon? How does the motor just seize up in 30 min? You see, I am jus the mom and not supposed to ask questions so therefore, I get no answers. I would love to be able to help solve this problem. Sorry if this is a stupid girl question. :bang: :bang: :bang: this is how i feel. :) thanks

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
What exactly do you mean when you say "it won't turn over" ?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
He could have done something as simple as broken a clutch plate and gotten a chunk caught in the primary gear locking it up.

Pulling the side cover and the clutch would be the logical place to start. That way you could determine if the engine or the transmission is causing the problem.

Last edited:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
justhemom said:
Ok , so I am jus' the mom
I would love to be able to help solve this problem. Sorry if this is a stupid girl question. :bang: this is how i feel. :) thanks

Don't be so rough on yourself justhemom.

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. :cool:

Where do your guys live? Maybe one of our members could take a look at it for you. If not, come back and ask more questions. Don't tell the kid where you are getting the answers. After a while, he will wonder how his mom knows all of this stuff. :laugh:

Rich's suggestion on removing the clutch cover is a good place to start. Once the outer cover is off it will expose the clutch and primary gears. The clutch is that big round thingy in the middle with the six bolts holding six springs. The primary gear is the small gear right in front of the clutch.

If you remove the six bolts and springs and then remove the outer clutch pressure plate it will expose the clutch plates. Remove the clutch plates (they slide straight out) and you will see an inner clutch hub and an outer clutch housing. If the inner clutch hub will not turn the seizure is in the transmission. If the outer clutch housing will not turn the seizure is in the engine (piston, crankshaft or camshaft.) You will notice the outer clutch housing has a large gear on the outside that meshes with the small primary gear on the crankshaft. This is how the power from the crankshaft (engine top end) is transferred to the transmission through the clutch. If both the inner hub and the outer housing turn, the problem is in the kick start gear assembly.

Now, go dazzle the kid with your brilliance. ;)

Top Bottom