1/2-3/4 Throttle Bog (help needed)

Amadeus

Apr 10, 2003
Ive heard folks say that bogging between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle can mean Rich or Lean. Help me understand what I have going on.

Bike Summary:
02 WR426
Stock pipe with Pro Moto baffle
YZ Timed & 03' 450 Cam
Stock Jetting
AP squirt: 1sec
Float: 8mm
Temps: 65-80F
Elevation: 800'
Air box lid removed
Air Screw: 2 turns

Performance Summary:
Starts and idles good. Good/smooth throttle response when cracking open from a stop.
Once I get past 1/2 throttle engine bogs down until I throttle back.

So far Ive tried a 170main and the stock 165 main. Needle clip is on #4 (middle). Im off to try the #5 clip position in an attempt to lean it but wanted to confer with the experienced on this before banging my head further.

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
when did it start doing this? just out of the blue? The short discription makes me think either it isnt warmed up all the way, you have worked on something and made a mistake, or my best guess is a plugged jet.

Amadeus

Apr 10, 2003
Actually, I just got the bike off another fella. Upon receipt of the bike I tore down the carb, cleaned, checked float, and made note of the current jetting for a baseline to its current performance. So to answer your question, its had the bog since I got it.
The bike is taken to op. temp everytime before taking note of performance. At first I thought it was an over oiled filter but its not.

At this point my plan is to adjust the AP squirt just a bit, note response. Then change to a YZ needle which is more rich across the circuit.

I still think this bog is a result of a lean condition which is why I want a richer needle to play with. But, since my experience is limited I'm looking for confirmation from the experienced. Thanks guys!

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
Amadeus said:
I still think this bog is a result of a lean condition which is why I want a richer needle to play with. But, since my experience is limited I'm looking for confirmation from the experienced. Thanks guys!

my guess is you are on the right track........this is confirmation from the semi experienced :think:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…