kawrider

Jun 27, 2004
Hi folks,
A friend of mine is going to trade a '04 105 KTM for a '04 125 KTM. T he reason she gave is that the 105 kick starter kept on breaking. She is a beginner to intermediate rider. She asked my opinion and I gave her one as objective as possible.
The 125 is going to be extra harsh in the woods. A fly-wheel weight of 12 oz. is needed minimum. The 105 had power from off-idle, The 125 will have power mid to top. I really tried to talk her out of the 125 without coming out and saying that she did not need/want the 125. She went and test rode the 125, She reports that the power is not an issue, but did not get into the meat of the power band.I think that she is in for a rude awakening.....even with the flywheel weight. She says that the height of the bike was her only concern. She is only 5'3". She has to tip-toe to hold the bike up and kick start it. She has a friend who will lower the bike a couple of inches and soften the suspension for off-road riding.
She is just learning to ride good.... on a two-stroke, I agree that it might be the same difference learning to ride the 125 as opposed to the 105. She did not have any issues with the power of the 105 in the woods, I just hope that the 125 is not too much power for her to control. She says that the difference is ONLY 20cc's. I told her that the difference is how the engine uses the 20cc's.......The difference is daylight and dark!
Thanks for any input that you can give, I have ridden some 125's off-road and did not like the very much.
Oh, yeah......I might add that she thinks that KTM is the only bike made, I suggested a KX 100 modified for woods riding and she guffawed at the suggestion!

Colorado Mike

Jun 28, 2004
Sounds like her mind is pretty much closed, so I wouldn't worry about how happy she'll be with the decision. I know a guy that can't reliably start his bike because it's too big for him, he wouldn't consider a smaller one.

Top Bottom