114 links - 114 links and no fit...what the #%$@

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
My renthal chain is too short for my bike. I bought a 114 link chain, wich is what the manual specified, and it arrived. THe chain does not fit! I counted the links on my new chain, and the old one, and they are both 114 links. The new one, however when held up to the old one, is about 3 links shorter What the @#$(@*@(@)$

Whats going on?? they are both 114 links, and 420 size, but one does not fit!! Wahhhh Somebody help me!

michigan

Mar 9, 2001
Keep in mind that your old chain is longer because it has stretched.
Might wanna check your sprockets and owners manual to see if you have larger sprockets that stock.

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
no, stock sprockets. I know the chain is streched, but it still wont fit on the bike! Even with the swingarm at the shortest position!

sprockets are 15/49, stock , and I'm sure of this.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
I think that you might want to count the links again. I am sure that a stretched chain will not be 3 full links longer than a new one. I'm about sure that you miss 2 links on your new chain.

skhasky

Apr 8, 2002
Achems Razor - the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. In this case, the simplest explanation is that the chain you bought hsa shorter links than the one on your bike. No chain will 'stretch' 3 links. If you are curious, measure the distance between pins on your old chain and new one, and see which is longer or whether they are the same. In the meanwhile, call Renthal and explain it to them. They WILL take care of you...

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
I'm on hold with renthal now... Dave, If I got a 428 it would be longer anyway... I'll let you know how this turns out...

btw, its 3 links shorter... (about 3 "linklengths

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
Just got off the phone, this is apparently a known problem. Something about messed up linkplate thinghys. Theyre sending me a new one, and will refund me when I send the old one back. I dont care if Its 1 week late, I just got a free chain! whoo hoo.

Now I just hope my old chain will last me the weekend...

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I'd like to hear exactly what this "known problem" was.

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
I dont know, the guy I talked too didnt seem to know very much.

He gave me the impression that this was not a problem with all of the 420 chains, but they had had 5 cases of this happening...

I dont care... i just want a good chain. It was vry hard t get this thing on the sprocket though...i think the rollers were too close together

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
dell,
A chain will fit the correct sprocket like a glove. A 420 chain has a pitch length (pin-to-pin) of 1/2".
Without having the wrong chain or sprockets, I can't imagine what the heck the problem could have been.

When you mount your chain, make sure the two ends land on your rear sprocket and place the connecting link on while they are there, engaged in the teeth. I suggest you lube up your adjusters and run them all the way in before you mount the chain, then adjust to recommended tightness. This will help to ensure your adjusters will work the next time you go to tighten the chain.

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
ok thanks for the tip. The renthal people said that the chain was actually a one - off type of chain for a bike that used sprockets slightly smaller than 420. They accdientally shipped it in place of a regular 420 chain.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Jaybird knows chains!

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Originally posted by dell30rb
The renthal people said that the chain was actually a one - off type of chain for a bike that used sprockets slightly smaller than 420.

Sooooo, what size did they send you? ... I thought 420 or 480 was the smallest you could get, for a dirt bike.?! :eek: :silly: It should be stamped on the side of the chain, or noted on the packaging material, let us know. :think:

Be nice Mike, we don't want to go there again :confused:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by 96whyzee125
Be nice Mike, we don't want to go there again :confused:
I actually meant it! After talking to him, I am assured he knows a lot about chains.

mackay

Jan 7, 2002
Customer Service

Nice to hear that you recieved good customer service after the sale...mistakes will happen and the willingness to make things right only reflects well on Renthal :cool:

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
They took very good care of me!

I'd do busniess anyday with a company like that. They made a mistake, and they more than made up for it.

I just hope my stock chain lasts me this weekend, and next weekend!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom