125 2-stroke or 250 4?

Taur

Mar 17, 2007
1) your physical size
6'4" 210
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
no idea
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
woods, trails
4) Do you have any riding experience?
next to none
5) Do you think you will race ?
maybe
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
maybe
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
Wouldnt know
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and
what brand(s) does he carry?
nope
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
2-4.5 CAD
10) Do you live in California?
?!?!

I have know idea if i should get a 125 2-stroke or 250 4-stroke. I hear that 4-strokes are easier to learn on, but im a very inexperienced rider. And i also hear that 2-strokes take a bit of time to get used to and should be ridden by experienced riders. Im a pretty big guy, and i know that 250 would be more than enough for me, but would 125 be enough, and what are the major differences between teh two? If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be great!

Mar 25, 2007
imo i would start out on a 4 stroke just to get experience. someone your size mayb a 250 or 450. the 4 stroke will be much smoother and will have more usable power for your level of experience. and 4 strokes tend to be more forgiving and are better for close woods trails.

Jan 3, 2007
I would say go for a 250 2 stroke. Just put on a Flywheel weight and a different throttle cam to tame the hit on the bike. Plus the 250 2 stroke is the best for woods. Other then a KTM.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
you beat me to it 2T for life ;) . look into getting a 250 2T and you could possibly put a flywheel weight on it like 2T for life stated if you dont feel comfortable with the powerband. youre a big guy, so youll need a bike with a lot of low-end, the KX250 has just that. it has the most grunt you can get out of a 250 2T and its cheap. you probably wont like anything less than a 250 2T, so aim for that.

samj89

Mar 31, 2007
no your all wrong he will kill himself on a 250 2 stroke he has no experience whatsoever remember.
i dont know were it comes from that you have to be about 150lbs for a 125 lol mine pullls hard with a mate on the back. my mate used to have a ktm 125sx and that used to be rapid with me on the back on the track etc that would be atleast 330lb.

chris61988kb

Uhhh...
Mar 19, 2007
Ok first off, ive been looking into getting a bike. I was thiking kx100 and then i was told to go 125 2t and suck it up.

Now lemme tell you something, before today, i had never ridden a dirt bike, not a 50, not anything and not once. So today was my first time and my buddy has a cr125 and thats one of the bikes i was interested in. Now im 5'4'" and 115 to 120 pounds. It took me two tries to get the bike to start moving without stalling off the start, 3rd try got it going and rid the thing.

so a kid my size, first time ever on a bike, and i hop on a 125 2t and ripped it.

its scary, hard, but def worth it so suck it up and go big.

As of now im going 125 2t after today, only thing was it was a bit hard to get around turns and give it some real gas on the way outa the turn because of the fact of my size and ability to control, but practice and time and i could be rippin it like a champ.

go with a 250 2t and get a fly wheel weight for it, thats what im doing to the 125 2t im getting and i might take an inch off the back and front suspension.

Joe Kovarik

Feb 27, 2007
I agree with samj89.A250 2stroke is not a good bike for trails it has to much power for the woods it is made for racing.You should look at a4 stroke. :cool:

Mar 16, 2007

all of that just has to do with your skill being a noob on a bike. 125 is a good size for you.

adz-kx

Mar 12, 2007
:think: im 6 foot and i have a kx125, fairly little expirience, awesome bike and i good learner aslong as you dont **** yourself when you hit the powerbands, to be honest im 2t all the way and think you should get a 125 2t kx100 is a very small bike in size comparison to a 125 and being higher up is better as when you get more expirienced and start leaning around the track you feet will touch the floor.......and im not sure of your age but u mentioned "kid" so your going to grow? 125 2t all the way mate and get a kwaka they rule! :laugh:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…