ihone

Jan 10, 2006
hello, looking at upgrading my steed. So, here's the facts:

1) 5'8" - 165 el beez
2) I'm semi aggressive ridestyle
3) Mostly track riding, perhaps a trail 1-2 times a year.
4) 2 years on current bike. rode an old trials bike when I was young.
5) I haven't ever raced. I may gate up someday. just for fun.
6) I am mechanically inclined and do my own work.
7) I'm a 2 stroker by heart, but wouldn't mind either way
8) Lots of dealers here in Houston, every make and model
9) around 2k
10) can't afford a new bike, looking for best bang for buck

With all that outta the way, I'll start by saying: I think I'm too big for my 125. In ya'lls opinion, am I? The bike's suspension is taking everything I toss at it nicely, but I can't help but feel like I'm pushing it just about as far as it wants to be pushed. And, now that I'm advancing in my riding habits and technique - I'm finding it hard to make that double right outta those turns (even if you are railing them).

So, would it be a good idea to just get myself a 250 2 stroke and make it an easier riding bike, or stick with the 125 and try to beef it up a lil more?

Jun 5, 2006
Not that i'm much of an expert on these things, since i just got my first 125 and all, but i'd say go for it and make the jump to the 250. I'd say you're plenty big enough for one. OR, you could get a big bore kit for your 125.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
ihone said:
I think I'm too big for my 125. In ya'lls opinion, am I? The bike's suspension is taking everything I toss at it nicely, but I can't help but feel like I'm pushing it just about as far as it wants to be pushed. And, now that I'm advancing in my riding habits and technique - I'm finding it hard to make that double right outta those turns (even if you are railing them).

Here's my .02 worth.

If you want a 250, move up to the 250. However. . .

You haven't raced. Have you ridden with "A" class 125/250f riders at the track?

Are you keeping up with them? If not, you're not even close to pushing the limits of the bike.

A local "A" rider jumped on my bike for the first time and after ONE CORNER on my bike he cleanly cleared a double/double section right out of a turn that I'm still having some trouble with after a year of racing - I'm casing the second double most of the time.

The 144 kit has helped me on stuff like that (before the 144, I had trouble clearing the first double regularly), as I'm sure a 250 would help you. However, I've seen an "A" kid on a 125 TRIPLE/single that double/double section I'm talking about.

Very few of us are anywhere near pushing the bikes to their limits. Getting a 250 or 250f will probably help you in those sections . . . but learning how to do it on the 125 will make you a better rider. :laugh:

Have you tried seat bouncing it?

BTW, you're not too big for the 125, and you're not too small for a 250. A 134 or 144 kit makes a big difference - about 6-8 peak HP.

ihone

Jan 10, 2006
yeah, but the money spent on buffing my 2 stroke up from 124CC to 134/144CC is just a tad steep when in comparison, getting a 250 may just solve my probs.

I spoke with a friend lastnight, and in his words:

"Yeah, the 250 will be easier to ride other than when the 'hit' comes along...you had better be ready and know when/where that thing will hit it, or you'll be seriously hurt. The 250 will be quicker in speed, but it'll also get you into trouble easier...just be cautious of that dude"

So, I dunno. I stuck a V-force reed cage, a new O-ring for the pipe, and replaced the forkseals all lastnight. Let's see if this makes 'that' much of a difference, but I'm almost sure it won't.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
ihone said:
yeah, but the money spent on buffing my 2 stroke up from 124CC to 134/144CC is just a tad steep when in comparison, getting a 250 may just solve my probs.

I spoke with a friend lastnight, and in his words:

"Yeah, the 250 will be easier to ride other than when the 'hit' comes along...you had better be ready and know when/where that thing will hit it, or you'll be seriously hurt. The 250 will be quicker in speed, but it'll also get you into trouble easier...just be cautious of that dude"

So, I dunno. I stuck a V-force reed cage, a new O-ring for the pipe, and replaced the forkseals all lastnight. Let's see if this makes 'that' much of a difference, but I'm almost sure it won't.
You can fix that, easily. I have a 2005 RM250 that is as smooth as they come, no hit anywhere. Took a pipe, silencer, and vforce3 reeds to fix. That's all, easy to solve.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
ihone said:
yeah, but the money spent on buffing my 2 stroke up from 124CC to 134/144CC is just a tad steep when in comparison, getting a 250 may just solve my probs

Do what you think is best after you done the research, but are you aware that Eric will do a 134/144 for approx. $475, including head work, piston, ring, bore, porting, polishing, re-assembly. . .?

I would think getting a 250 would be more expensive. ;)

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
With a 2g budget, I think I would get the suspension done. Especially if you are pushing it real hard.
Unless you are spending a lot of time in top gear pinned, you might also consider gearing the bike down a bit for more juice out of the corners.
But if you can find a good 250 in your range, go for it.

ihone

Jan 10, 2006
I know this is an old thread....a few months old actually, but I thought I'd give an update. I got a thumper! Decided to stick with the 125 Class, but a lil more torque was exactly what I needed. 2003 YZ250F from a buddy here locally for a REAL good price.

Here's a pic of her:

720_3982.jpg

Top Bottom