njames

May 18, 2006
k, so yeah i posted a thread in the 2 strokes section.. but my question is., what bike would take the less amout of maintenance ,, 125 or 250 2 stroke?

i'm looking at used 2000-2004 KTM and YZ bikes at the moment, just not sure what size to get yet. I have experience with bikes and quads,, i'm just new to 2 strokes and the maintenance.

Kinda looking to get the bike that will go longer before i have to re_build it so i can hit up some trails and tracks without worry about it breaking down every ride.

I've heard from numorous people that KTM and YZ are the fastest, most reliable bikes,, but KTM break down easier, and cost more to fix? not sure how true that is.

I like to rip fast, but theres always those random times where a lil bottom end is good, which of the 2 companies would have better bottom end but still good mid and top?

and is it true 125's break down and require more maintenance than 250 bikes?

AnTs

Uhhh...
Nov 5, 2005
IMO the 250 will last longer before you have to re-do the top end on them. 125's have to be ridden hard all the time, and 250's not so much, they are able to put around a little in first gear but not much. Id say 250 though, but it all depends on what your ridding

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
Not sure where you heard the KTM is faster in the 2 stroke category, but that isn't true for a 250 class bike. I wouldn't touch a KTM 250 two stroke. Also, the 2 strokes are all about the same in the reliability dept. It sounds like you are mixing up your 2 strokes and 4 strokes. A 250 two stroke will last longer than a 125 two stroke, but both are much better than any 4 stroke. You really should do a top end on both somewhat frequently since they are relatively inexpensive.

I would worry more about how much bike you can handle than reliability because that's not a factor with 2 strokes if taken care of.

Top Bottom