MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
You might want to reconsider a 125 for a tight tight woods bike, if thats all your riding there are alot better choices out there.

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
bottom end? a 125? you're funny...but, you really may want to reconsider and look for something else, possibly a KDX. 125's have no bottom end, all their power is mid and overrev, your arms would be sooo pumped from using that clutch it wouldn't even be funny.

Jim Z.

Nov 10, 2001
I've had a two different KDX's, they just don't seem to scream. I know my question seems funny, but I want to modify a 125 for the woods. I want to start with a 125 that has decent bottom and excellent midrange and do some engine mods for even more mid and bottom power. Get where I'm coming from.;)

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
yes, you can mod it up and ride it in the woods but its still going to be a pain in the butt I think, and you are really just trying to make the bike something its not. I would say go for a 250 or maybe the KTM 200 if you are bent on a 2 stroke or you could always go 4 stroke...Just some ideas though

Last edited:

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
I modified my '92 CR125 for more towards a woods bikes and I have no trouble riding in the tight slow trails I do. I just keep it in first or 2 second in trails.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
You may also consider a 96-00 YZ125. These bikes, by 125 standards, had good bottom and mid range, while still being able to scream on top. Even Trail Rider magazine considered these series of bikes to be excellent woods bikes. However, if true woods riding is to be the main focus of your riding, then I would advise purchasing any of the KTM/Husky enduro bikes. Why? because these bikes were designed from day one for the very demands that you are contemplating. They come with "off road" style suspension, bigger ergonomoically designed tanks, wide ration transmissions ect...

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
You may also consider a 96-00 YZ125. These bikes, by 125 standards, had good bottom and mid range, while still being able to scream on top. Even Trail Rider magazine considered these series of bikes to be excellent woods bikes

I agree with duke. My 00 yz125 has execellent bottom for a 125. I added a fmf fatty with a shorty silencer and a 50 tooth rear sprocket. Man does this thing have great pop off the bottom it is great. I also ride a little mx so that is why i went with a yz125. If though, you are only going to do trail riding then i would also suggest a ktm 200exc or a kdx 200/220. Both are excellent trail bikes. :)

Miltonyz

Sponsoring Member
Apr 12, 2001
I've seen a couple of people up here run the 125sx in the woods. I think it is the son of the fellow that owns a KTM shop. Ronnie something. I don't know if thats what he rides at actual enduros but I've seen him on it for play rides. A guy we ride with bought one and he loves it in the woods. I think skill is the biggest variable here though. You have to be fast enough to keep your momentum up.

Top Bottom