129 lbs. would an 85cc bike be enough ??

Gage`s Dad

Aug 28, 2009
Im 49 years old 5ft 9in and 129lbs. Currently I ride a 1977 IT 175. I might be buying a used bike soon and was wondering if a KX or YZ 85 would be enough bike for me. Casual trail riding would be what it was used for. A guy at a local bike shop told me a KX 85 would easily out run the 175 I ride now. My son has a CR 125 and it seems so tall to me, I thought I might be more comfortable on a smaller bike, one I feel like I could control better.
So, whats your thoughts??
Thanks in advance for the look and some input on this.

EDIT:
I forgot about the proper forum for this question :whoa:
Maybe a mod will move it for me!

Last edited:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
At 5'9" I think you'd find the bike very short for proper form to stand while riding. If you find the 125 too tall I'd look at a Big Wheel 85 or a KX100.

Mar 18, 2006
Or a KTM 105. I had a 1977 IT175 in 1977. It is one of my favorite bikes I've owned.That year was pretty quick for its day. :) I agree with Chili. An 85 will be too small for your height. There are some 4 stroke trail bikes available that might work for you. If snappy power isn't a priority, a Honda crf150 might be an option. It will be slower than the IT, but will have more torque and be more modern overall. A "supermini" set-up properly for you would be the sportiest ride, for sure.

Apr 30, 2007
Gage`s Dad said:
Im 49 years old 5ft 9in and 129lbs. Currently I ride a 1977 IT 175. I might be buying a used bike soon and was wondering if a KX or YZ 85 would be enough bike for me. Casual trail riding would be what it was used for. A guy at a local bike shop told me a KX 85 would easily out run the 175 I ride now. My son has a CR 125 and it seems so tall to me, I thought I might be more comfortable on a smaller bike, one I feel like I could control better.
So, whats your thoughts??
Thanks in advance for the look and some input on this.

Here, I'm wondering if you shouldn't hop on either an XR250, or a CRF230.

The 230 is a mid frame size. You might like it better than a bigwheel 85. It will go all day on a tank (unlike the 85s), and you can give it a little hop-up kit that will make it go quite nicely for a very reasonable price! They are heavy beasts though, but possibly lighter than what you are on right now.

The XR250 is a full sized bike, but lower seat height than a 125, lots of grunt, headlight, and perfect for the trails as well. At 5'2" I was able to ride one around without too much trouble with the exception of starting and stopping because I was on my extreme tiptoes.

Both the XR and the CRF will have very very low maintenance compared to the 85s or 105s.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
At 5'8" I can pretty much guarantee that I small wheel 85 is too small for you (plenty of power, but awkard chassis size). That 125 might have felt better if it were sprung for your weight, and the sag set correctly. Worst case scenario, you can get a full sized bike and lower it. Of course, you can always go with the other good suggestions that have been posted.
Oh, and larger wheels roll over bumps better, which is why many mountain bikers have gone to the 29 inch wheels.

plynn41

Jun 8, 2009
I've got to agree with most of what's been posted. I really don't think you'll enjoy an 85 because you'll be too big for the frame, and besides--you might get some funny looks from other riders.
You know it's possible to lower the seat height of alot of bikes. My son's YZ 85 (he's 10) has the seat shaved about 2 inches so he can reach ground good. This is not a difficult mod to do. You can also set the shock for a generous sag.
I'm 46 years old and 5' 11", and I can get on my cr250r without help when I need to--but I don't mind telling you that I've got a concrete block in the backyard that I use to climb on and start it sometimes.
Good luck!

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
When our sons reached about 120lbs we moved them up from their 80's. One was a very skilled MXer and at about 110lbs we had to intall stiffer springs in the bike because he was outriding it.
I'm barely 5' 10" and full sized bikes work well for me. As mentioned, a full size bike can be lowered slightly (suspension mods), the seat foam can be shaved (elec carving knife), or the subframe can be shortened a little.
At your age, size, and the fact you're looking to trailride, I'd keep my eyes open for a used Honda XR250, XR400, CRF250X, Kawasaki KLX250, KDX200/220, Yamaha WR250F, Suzuki DRZ400... there's a lot of choices...

01HondaCR

May 31, 2001
Yeah don't let the height of a full size bike sway you away from them. I'm 5'6" and have no problems unless i get caught on an off camber hill and need to stop. My girlfriend had an 04 cr85 and even at my height the frame just feels way too small. When you stand up it feels really uncomfortable. And because i was too tall it causes you sit further back on the seat than you should and with those little two strokes and no power valve your just looking to get put on your butt. Guy down the street travels all over the country doing off-road races on a two stroke KTM. It even almost dumped him out in the middle of the field. No idea how he saved it.

Mfillhart13

Oct 8, 2009
Hi am basically built the same as you it appears. I am 5'9 127 pounds. I would not recommend an 85. Your height is no issue at all. I have an 03 rm 125 and that would be what i reccomend for you. If you got a two stroke 125 it wont do you wrong and you can keep up with your four stroke 250 buddy's. Also if you buy a bigger bike it will feel a lot better after a little while of riding.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom