17 year old, what enduro bike to get

jesus17

May 6, 2008
Well i'll fill up form and hope that you will help.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
200lb, 5'11''
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Pretty agressive
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Mainly tight woods, wide fire roads also fun with friends on MX track and hillclimbing
4) Do you have any riding experience?
2 years on 125 4 stroke...
5) Do you think you will race ?
Propably but not pro just for fun
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Yes i will be doing all by myself. I have lot of mechanical expirience :nener:
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
Hmm i really like KTMs and also 2 stroke but i will ride anything you give to me.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Yes i have some dealers but KTM is the only specialized dealer, others also sell lawnmovers and bread so i would propably stick to the KTM. Also the owner of that store is the multiple champion in enduro races here.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
As much i have to
10) Do you live in California?
Nop
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

Thats about all... ask if you need more.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I'd look at a 250 or 300 two-stroke enduro bike. KTM250 or 300XC-W, GasGas EC250 or EC300, Husqvarna WR250, TM 250/300E are all good bikes.

jesus17

May 6, 2008
If i have to chose 250 or 300 i choose 300... i heard they have addicting torque and smooth power
What do you think about 200s or 125?

Unfortunately i can only choose KTM or Husqvarna, we don't have TM and Gas Gas dealers in my country...
I can get a TM from Italy but it would be too expensive and problem with parts.

So what do you think Husqvarna or KTM? I like both bikes, Husqvarna new desing is briliant but KTM is also very nice desing. Does Husqvarna have 300s?

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I think a 200 or 125 would be too small for you. I know larger guys that ride the bikes, but they struggle on the hills. I'm 170lbs and can get by on a 200 but prefer the 250. Are you in Slovakia? If so, I believe there are GasGas dealers there. I could be wrong though.

I don't think Husky makes a 300. Personally, I think I'd get a Husky over a KTM. I don't like linkless rear suspension. It just feels goofy. Also, I didn't like the handling of the KTM compared to my GasGas.

jesus17

May 6, 2008
No i'm not from slovakia, i'm from Croatia. Thats near Slovakia and unfortunately we don't have Gas Gas here.
If we were having Gas Gas i would propably take it.
Also i read that GG are smoother than KTMs.

So you would go with Husqvarna? Hmm i will certainly take a look, try a Husky and KTM and decide.

What do you think about new KTM EXC 530? IT seems like hell of a bike. I rode older 525 from 2003 with some racing parts and that thing pulls like it isn't from earth.
I think 300 is about the same power as 525? Am i wrong?

I'm not pro and relatievly inexpirieced so i doubt i will feel so much diffrence in handling and linkless suspension... that doesen't worry me too much.

I like to play in pits and jump some fun jumps, climb earth walls and you know have fun and try new stuff till i get hurt. So i think a 2 stroke is way to go because it's lighter, better handling and funnier power :D
My friend have EXC 125 2007 and he is having great time. He is also heavier than me. We are both strong so picking the bike up wouldn't be a problem.

jesus17

May 6, 2008
I visited my KTM dealer and he strongly recommends me to buy 200. Ha says it is very easy to ride bike and great for woods that we have here in Croatia.

He also recommended to wait 2009 models. I'm not in rush just want to get best bike i can for my money because i will ride it for long time.
Husqvarna is a little bit of problem because of parts, i will have to travel almost on the other side od my country to pick it up and to buy parts. KTM is next to my door.

I asked him if a 450 or 525 will suit me. He said they are also great bikes for begginers and pros but when i get used to 2 stroke i can get more from it than from 4 stroke. I will stick with 200 than, i really liked the bike when i saw it live :D, i guess how a 2009 will look like :D

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I'd be a little worried about outgrowing the 200 at your size. Don't get me wrong, they're great bikes, but if you ride in an area with big hills you'll have a tougher time on the 200 than a 250 or 300. If you can get a good deal on a 2008 model, go for it, otherwise I'd wait for the 09s. When you're budgeting for a bike, make sure you have enough money for protective gear (helmet, boots, goggles, gloves and knee pads at a minimum).

jesus17

May 6, 2008
Hmm i really don't think i will grow any more... i lost pretty much weight, i was heavier before but i started to train and i lost weight and i plan on loosing even more.

Well i will try to test ride some bikes and decide.
I can get 5% down on 2007 bike so i think it will be the same with 08 models once 09 is out. Last year that shop put 15% off on 05 300 EXC... if only i had the money than :D

Don't worry i have all the gear already home, i ride enduro for some time on **** bike so i have all equipment needed. I will just buy new helmet and goggles since i use an old Nolan helmet that my uncle has raced long long ago on his KTM 250 from 88 :D
My father also rides motorcycle so he always controls me if i have all the gear on me when i go to ride. I'm not even thinking to ride without the helmet and boots... my dad unfortunately for him almost lost his right leg because he didn't wear boots. He was very lucky and he has leg and can walk but it hurts him every day last 25 years since he crashed.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…