HAUNYAWK

Feb 16, 2006
I bent the 19 rear rim on my cr250, my buddy told me I should run an 18 inch rim because it is stronger. Will that help me and if so what sprocket sizes should I run to compensate?

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
You wouldn't need to change gearing, as you would run a tire with a taller sidewall, and approximately the same overall diameter as the 19 you currently have.

Motocross bikes use a shorter sidewall, with a larger rim (19"), to control flex in the sidewalls, as it gives more positive drive. Off road bikes still run 18" rims, and the sidewalls are taller, because they are slightly more forgiving and cushy in an off road environment. they are also slightly cheaper, and easier to change.

As an example a 250 2 stroke enduro would run a 110/100-18, while a 250 MX 2 stroke would run a 110/90-19 tire.

The 18" wheel is slightly stronger, because the spokes are shorter and less likely to buckle, and the tire absorbs slightly more of the impact, but good spokes and rims with proper maintenace will make a bigger difference than the size difference. I'd say you probably want to stay with the 19, unless you primarily ride off road.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom