190 lbs with gear, what fork springs??

KC17

Apr 9, 2005
I mostly ride dirt and sand trails in Michigan.

FRP Jeff recommends .38's. I rode my buddies .38's and thought a bit stiffer would be better, but not sure if it would be too harsh??

Thanks!
KC

May 26, 2005
check out race-techs website they have a fork spring calculator that should get you in the ballpark. I use .38's in my KDX and I'm only 160 in gear. My guess is you would be at least a .40kg spring type of guy.

daniel_1988

Jul 17, 2005
hmmm i need some ideas on suspension setup too. i only weigh 110 pounds and
when i get on the brake hard my front practically bottoms out.im thinking about
fork springs too.maybe just new front springs?.they are reaaaaly soft it will get some jumping too.what spring?
a;so i havent rode it much sincei got it but it just dosent handle/corner well for me maybe cuz im small or i came of kx

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I weigh 180 w/o gear and also ride dirt and sand trails in Michigan.

I threw in .40's and am pretty happy with them. Lost some initial plushness, but I ride very hard and they do decent in the whoops and on tracks jumping. I'm still not overly thrilled with the suspension, this winter its getting sent to Freddete for a revalve, definitly. I know it's no MX bike, but it's just down right bad in the higher speed sand stuff.

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
I'm around your weight with gear aand I have .38 springs. I have them 12 clicks out from the seated position and they work and feel great. I turned the clicker in 1 the other day and I did notice a stiffness that I did not prefer at least for the terrian I ride in. The .40 springs would be a good choice also.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
It is not popular with Jeff F. but the XR springs are longer and IMO work better. Just more spring/travel with the same spring weight. Many on this forum have used them. In sand, I think you would be happier with .40 or .41 whichever spring system you use. Cheers John

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom