Dirtvet

Jan 23, 2000
What do you all think of the early 70's large bore Husky's? There seems to have been a wide range of displacements available in that period, from 360s, 400s, 430s to 450s. Was the 450 a real brute on a MZ track or a good torque monster? I'm considering buying and restoring one and would appreciate your input.

Oregon Trail

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 1999
The 450 is a beast and a half on a MX track. :aj: The 400 CR is a better MXer. That's not to say the 450 can't be raced, I like it on the long GP style tracks, not the tight technical ones. You definetly have all the power you'll ever need with the 450.

Attachments

• 450wr.jpg
    450wr.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 546

Dirtvet

Jan 23, 2000
Thanks. Nice WR 450 you got there. I hope to get the CR 450 Saturday and race in a local club here called Evo Sports. They held a vintage race last weekend here in Houston. It was really well done and fun for all. It was held on a fairly "modern" track though. I didn't know that CZs / Huskys / Maicos could jump! Kind of looked like it hurt on the big uphill step-up triple. Huskys came in 1-2 in the vintage, while Maico were willers in the evo classes.

Dirtvet

Jan 23, 2000
Thanks. Nice WR 450 you got there. I hope to get the CR 450 Saturday and race in a local club here called Evo Sports. They held a vintage race last weekend here in Houston. It was really well done and fun for all. It was held on a fairly "modern" track though. I didn't know that CZs / Huskys / Maicos could jump! Kind of looked like it hurt on the big uphill step-up triple. Huskys came in 1-2 in the vintage, while Maico were winners in the evo classes.

Husky Texan

Oct 6, 2000
Hey Tommygun, make sure you come by and introduce yourself when you are at an EvoSports race. I am one of those Maico guys in the EvoIII Expert class. My number is 73 and I am easy to spot on the track. I have the only white framed Maico out there. I was at Splendora for the last race. Had a ball but could only muster a 2-2 finish. This weekend at Cross Creek will be different.

BTW, I also have a 74 Husky 400CR. As soon as I put a new shift fork in it I plan on selling it.

Grab your 450 and head over to Cross Creek this weekend. It is only about a 2 hour drive down 290. Maybe even less from Spring.

See you there.

Dave Garner
San Antonio

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
huskycr500 said:
getting an 82 cr 500. heard they are powerful, what do you think?

Yes they are! All of the open class bikes are! My 420/430's have enough for me. I just bought another '81 420 Husky auto this weekend and plan on keeping it in the woods though.

How were the Houston races??

huskycr500

Oct 3, 2004
more!!

what can you tell me about the cr 500's, 1982. I can't find much on them anywhere in cyberspace. The only thing I found out is that only 200-250 were made, and they had way too much power. :ride:

Top Bottom