1981 Cr 80 Cold Start Problem

CENPAPETE

Oct 30, 2006
I just acquired a 1981 CR 80 that has not run for several years.
I found no spark and the stator bad.
I replaced the stator and got a spark but could not start.
I tried taking out the spark plug and putting in some fuel and got it to start.
Once I do that and run it a bit it runs great and starts easily once warmed up. When the engine cols it will not start. If I take the plug out and put some fuel in it will start and then once warm run great. Any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

CRazy250

May 28, 2006
CLEAN YOUR CARB! if you havent im sure thats your problem or the fact the ring is worn out and has no compression

CENPAPETE

Oct 30, 2006
COMPRESSION & CARB CLEANING

Thanks for the info, it has plenty of compression and runs great with plenty of power once started. I just cannot get it started when cold without putting some fuel into the cylinder. It must be something with the Carb. I have pulled it and there is no gunk or build up of any kind inside. I did not want to mess with it to much but there must be a clogged jet somewhere so I guess I will have to tear it apart and clean it as best as I can and see what happens. Never taken a carb apart before though. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which jet might cause this problem?

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
With the carb off the bike my sure you screw out your choke assembly and clean out all the passages associated with the choke. Use a aerosol carb cleaner with a straw.
Also clean everything very well and it should work. Hope this helps.

CENPAPETE

Oct 30, 2006
Thanks, I will be working on it this week end hopefully thats all it will take.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
pilot jet is probably clogged ,clean it out thouroughly
use a guitar string ,or needle to make sure the holes are clear
did you see my reply to the stater?- its avail from dennis kirk-$60

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…