MorganFIsher

Mar 10, 2021
Afternoon folks amd welcome to my nightmares. 02 wr250f. Kick only. Issue.
Will not idle, dies. Hard start. Legs hurt.
Previous owner jb welded the flywheel nut on. (Wire was broke on stator) it’s now fixed. Engine was out, stripped and crank was fixed at crank shop. Re assembled. Ultras sonic cleaned the carb. Won’t starts. Checked ohms. For pickup, stator all with spec. Take a car now off a 03 wr. Starts and runs, won’t idle. It’s at like 2500 slowly unscrew and dies. Runs long enough to check timing with timing light. And that within the fire range. Re installed my carb, kick like hell. Starts won’t I idle.
Change do the jet From 40 to 42. No difference.
Air filter was garage, was removed. No restrictions.
Valves were checked and within spec. New plug. New fuel.
Timing shows advancing when reving. So. Cdi is working.
Any gurus or ideas. Cheers,
Morgan

MorganFIsher

Mar 10, 2021
We’ll, 170 views and0 replies. I spoke to several people. Few say cdi. Few think stator. Few think carb. I have a video. I’ll see if I add that video make all the differences.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
So, I'm not a 4 stroke guy but all engines require 3 things, fuel, air and spark. The fact that it starts at all tells me you have all 3 but not in the correct amount. I'd focus on fuel. Does it run better with the choke on? That would indicate a lean circuit. I am leaning towards a lean condition (no pun intended!) which could be caused by an air leak someplace or a poorly sealing valves. I know you stated that the vales are adjusted correctly but how do the seats look? Leaking valves can cause hard starting. Have you done a leak down test?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Will a short blast of starter fluid make it easier to start? (Saves the leg). Carbon build up or low compression/ air leak is highly likely.

Top Bottom