Yooper Glenn

Mar 9, 2014
Hi folks. I'm new to DRN and live in the Michigan Upper Peninsula (a Yooper!). I've read this thread and others with interest. In 1981, I bought a new XR200R and set it up for enduros and single track. I installed the Powroll pipe with Supertrapp, K&N filter, correct jetting (I actually called Honda R&D and they sent me what I recall was a 143 jet), XRs Only suspension, and a little larger rear tire. I must say that I had some of the best times I've had on that little 200. Then I bought an '84 XR250R and basically duplicated the mods. A lot of folks didn't like the 2 carb setup, but mine worked great for me. I wish I wouldn't have sold either of those bikes. Then an '89 KDX 200 (first year of the liquid cooled. Then in '96, back to an XR250R... The engine went to Thumper Racing and became a 300 and the forks and shock went to Factory Connection. Well that was then and this is now.

At least 10 years ago I came upon an '82 XR200R in really nice shape and bought it. We used it for trail maintenance and my son rode it some. Pretty much just stored the last few years. Now, for some reason - mostly fun I guess, I'm wanting to go through it and set it up as close as possible like I did my '81, so many years ago. As we all know, that 1 inch ID header pipe has to go. Of course Powroll is out. I called XRs today and they no longer make a pipe for the '81 - '83 200. However they do make one for the '86 and newer XR200Rs as some folks have indicated. Based on pictures and parts diagrams, it sure looks like the bends in the header pipe would fit my '82. Externally anyway, the engines, placement of the carb, clutch linkage, etc. sure look like mine. I suppose the most critical bend would be where it passes between the sub frame and shock, and needs to clear the carb. Do any of you think it would fit? Most importantly, would the '86 and newer header bolt up to my '82 head? I'm going to try to come up with a Supertrapp and may have to custom make a mid pipe. Do you think it would work?

As an alternative, I was looking at the CRF230F header. Based on threads I've read, the 230 bore is the same, has a longer stroke, but other wise looks quite similar. Have any of you heard of someone using a CRF header on the earlier XR200R? Your input would be appreciated.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom