1985 240 kit

Kawierider

Jun 7, 2001
hey guys,
I am rebuilding a 1985 kdx with a 240 kit. At least i am assuming this is what is has since it has been sleeved and is running a 73 mm piston ( this works out to 241cc). my problem is i know that the 240 kit was available for this bike through wisco and pro-x but i do not know if it is available. it is not listed in the wiseco catalog. if anyone has a part number or a way for me to get one id appreciate it.
Tim :|

Boot

Jun 11, 2002
I noticed that these pistons weren't listed in the Wiseco catalogue any more too. However, when I had mine rebored, there was no problem in sourcing the right Wiseco piston from someone here in Australia. The local dirt bike shop says that the whole 240-kit concept was cooked up here in Oz to begin with, but I don't know about that.

1. In any case, you might find that a performance shop can source the piston for you even though it doens't appear in the latest Wiseco catalogue.

2. My 240 piston is 72mm, not 73 (though I'm on the first oversize now, so 72.25mm). Maybe yours is a different series, or (hopefully not) you're on the last oversize by now already...

Sorry I can't offer any more info than this.

Kawierider

Jun 7, 2001
thanks, yes i do beleive that i am on the last oversize...that sucks, but i dont think ill have any problems unless i gouge the cylinder......did you get your piston from a dealer or performance shop ?
thanks, every little bit helps
does anyone else have any info ?
Tim

Boot

Jun 11, 2002
I got mine through a bloke that does rebores for many of the bike shops in the area. I went straight to him and he was able to give me a better price on the rebore and even the piston. He ordered the piston through some kind of distributor here. I think you'll find it's a Wiseco you'll have to get. I made enquiries about Pro-X, but it seemed to be a dead end.

I know that Serco handles 240 kits here is Oz (www.serco.com.au). They might be able to help you if you get really stuck. However, they didn't reply to an email of mine, so I wouldn't count on them.

You should be able to find this piston somehow, so don't panic -- as I did when I didn't see it in the catalogue.

Cheers

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Check with LA Sleeve for a big bore piston for the old KDX's. They did the big bore for my '84 back in the day and used wiseco pistons. Maybe they still have a line on some.

Kawierider

Jun 7, 2001
hey guys, thanks for all your help. i called la sleeve comapny and they indeded still carry the piston. The 73 mm costs 160 bucks for the kit (kinmda steep but hey) and it's part number is w969p4 for anyone who needs it. im gonna call aroudn and see if i cna get a cheaper bprice but their phone number is 1-562-945-7570
thanks again
Tim

lightsts

Jul 8, 2002
Hey Kawierider
What kind of performance do you get from the 240 setup? Does it pull strong at bottom and mid and go flat on top? We race a 83 and a 87 in Hare Scrambles and are interested in the big bore setup. The way we have them set up now they run like a newer RM125 with little low end. Would like to try it on the 87 but worried about reliability.

Kawierider

Jun 7, 2001
hey micheal,
I bought the bike with the kit in it(i didnt even know it had it until i took the jug off) so, i have no basis for comparison besides my dads 88(which is stock). Also, i never rode the bike with a good top end. (it was kind of a beater bike which explains my current delema lol) but this was my impression. The bike pulled well from very low in the rpm range, it didnt have the flywheel that my ts185 had but it was very tourqey, i would be able to beat my dad out of turns and pass him on straightaways. the extra low end was a huge help on tight trail and helped me lift the front end over submerged logs on a washed out trail that caught my dads bike. I ride alot of sandy trails but that didnt phase the bike, the bike spun the tire out of the turn without getting too loose. I did notice that my dad's bike pulled longer, but i think the extra low-end payed off in the tight trails. It made the bike easy to ride and smoothed out the hit (compared to the 88). In all fairness my dad outweighs me by twenty pounds, but i easily out accelerated him in slick clay as well as sand. I am excited to see what the bike will run after i rebuild the motor!!!!!!!!
good luck, give me some feed back any info you can pass me on the early dx's would be great
you dont have a parts motor do you ? i still need a flywheel !!!
Tim

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…