onthefly

Aug 2, 2008
Can you bore these heads out? I know Wiesco makes oversize pistons for these per Wiescos parts catalouge. I am unsure when Nikilin started being used on the KDX. It appears there is a sleeve in there with definite cross hatch honing from before. From what I can research is that if it is a Nikilin application then it wouldn't appear that it is sleeved. Apparently when it was cast, the Nikilin was applied to the cylender wall, not to what looks like a sleeve. Any help on this would be appreciated. Cylinder is in the shop now waiting for confirmation if it can be bored...

hot125mod

Jan 14, 2007
the kawis are an electrofusion bore and it is called nicasil nickel cadium silicon. usually you can bore 1-2mm out of the jug and still plate it. you also need to open the squish to accomodate the larger piston. btw try ericgorr.com

onthefly

Aug 2, 2008
Thanks for the response. I just stuck a magnet on the cylinder wall and it grabbed. Apparently with Nicasil it wont?

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
It is called Electrofusion, as it is done by Kawasaki. It WILL hold a magnet.

Search around the internet for pictures of cylinders where the owner mentions it being sleeved. It is easy to tell the difference when compared side to side.

A plated cylinder can not be bored like an old iron or steel cylinder. It has to have the plating eaten off by chemicals, then it is replated (preferbly) or drilled out for a sleeve to be installed (downgrade).

Top Bottom