1987 KDX 200 questions

blackoutyz125

Aug 7, 2004
Hey,
A buddy of mine is looking for his first bike and we came across a 87 kdx for 900. We went and looked at it today and it was really clean, fired right up, sounded great, but to rainy to ride it. Just wanted to ask you guys if you know any problem areas on the bike that I can check out before he buys the bike. Its got a new chain,sprokets,tires,rear break, etc. Just want to get some of you good opinions. :)

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
I have owned an 86 and an 88. They are basically the same as the 87 you are looking at. I had only a couple of things that happened on both of the bikes. The boot from the airbox to the carb intake cracked on the bottom of both machines. It is difficult to see the crack without REALLY looking. The spherical bearings in the dog bone link on the rear suspension seem to wear fairly fast. Other than that the C Models are extremely reliable if they get some TLC.

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
one more thing mate, the brake drum on the rear wheel tends to flog out past it's wear limit from mud, sand etc. Once it's too worn, even new brake shoes won't stop you. It's a pain in the neck to check (you have to pull the rear wheel off and measure the ID of the drum) and I can't even remember what the service limit is. But sure as ****e you won't be able to get a new one! One of the reasons I went to a newer model.

Cheers,
Andrew

tax cutter

Nov 6, 2003
I bought an '86 a little over 2 years ago. Still has all the factory stickers! So it was very low mileage. I've probably ridden it more in 2 years than it's previous 17 years. Anyway, the bike is everything great that has ever been said about KDXs. I have done the following maintenance/repairs :
Rear axle bearings went out during a ride. Replaced.
Replaced fuel shut-off.
I've greased where there are fittings. But had to disassemble and grease the dog bone as it wouldn't accept the grease and was pretty noisy.
Replaced one fork seal and the dust boots. Still had original fork oil I think!
New batteries in the timer/odometer which still works.
And the usual chain, roller, slider, sprocket stuff.
Otherwise she is indestructible and goes anywhere the new expensive bikes go!
Happy Trails!
David

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…