1987 kx80 cylinder swap question

lt167camaro

Jun 30, 2007
I bought my daughter a 1987 kx80 dirtbike. The jug is totally shot on the bike. Can you put a newer jug on the base of the 87. I know the newer bikes have 5 bolts on the head but I was wondering if you could use the jug and head of a newer bike on it. Thanks for any help. I was going to fix this older bike up as cheap as possible and see if she likes dirt bikes. If so I'll get her a newer one. Thanks for any help.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006

lt167camaro

Jun 30, 2007
I was hoping to find some used parts because I don't want to spend a lot of money on an old bike when you can buy a bike 10 years newer for sometimes under a 1000 bucks. I found a couple of jugs on **** that are newer than an 87. They came with the head also. A new jug for the 87 is just under 400.00. About half of what the bike is worth in running order. Know what I mean. I was told a newer jug would fit as long as I used a newer head and piston. As long as the base gasket is the same it will work. But I don't know if a newer bike has a different stroke than the older bike. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
You can also shop that famous auction site for used heads and other parts for that '87 KX. I managed to score a set of forks, rear shock, radiator, and some other misc. parts for an '86 KX80 and spent less than $50 on all of them.

Of course, you never know what you will get from there so buyer beware.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
go to ebyyy and check in the store as well as the regular listing-

also dennis kirk- has a catalog that tells the bore ,and stroke for a ton of bikes through wiseco piston kits- pick up a catalog for free!! lots of info in there--
and gooood prices!!---

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
is the cylinder just totally annihilated? you can get it replated by US chrome for probably not that much.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…