TRX55

Sep 9, 2002
I need a little info on the newer kx 250's. I currently own a 95, it's mostly stock except for the flywheel weight and the gnarly pipe. I race it in harescrambles alot and it has good power but not compared to some of the newer kx's i testrode before i bought mine a couple of years ago. The jug is peeling which is pretty common on the older ones and really needs to be replated. I really don't want to put too much more major repair toward this bike and i would possibly consider selling it if i felt a newer kx250 would really have much more overall advantages over my 95. My bike is in pretty nice shape for a 95 and really only needs the cylinder done. I've read on some of the newer year kx 250's and it seemed that anything 98 to 2001 were the best kx's overall especially the 01. Anything past an 01 i can't really afford. Any info would be greatly appreciated..............

Steve47

Nov 23, 2001
The 98 or the 2000. Nothing else.

The 98 had the best 250 motor ever. Monster low end.

The 2000 is a very good bike too, not as much bottom end as the 98 but a bit more top. The handling was a bit better too.

'00kx250spode

Oct 21, 2000
Sure, I'm biased. But I also feel that the 2000 KX250 was the best of the 1999-2002 model. But if you are going to get your cylinder replated, consider having Eric bore it to 310cc. The price is very reasonable and the performance is excellent for motocross or harescrambles.

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
I've ridden all the years '95 and up, often. The "97-'98 years have a different
cylinder than yours with a wider range of power. That great low-end with more high-rpm pull. Not a screaming all the way to the top like some bikes, but they keep pulling when the 95-96's signed off.
Then another cylinder concept in 2000, smoothing out the hit.
Haven't noticed much difference in the rest of the bike.
Something to consider- if your bike is otherwise in good shape, let Eric work his magic and your cylinder will be a known quantity, as opposed to guessing at a used newer bike. You will have better power that any of the stock KX's and better plating.

Top Bottom