1990 KDX white smoke

Kmcatam

Aug 3, 2004
Looking for help locating a shop manual for a 1990 KDX 200. The manual I received from Kawasaki was a service manual, and I do not see a shop manual listed. Clymer apparently does not make one so I am at a loss.

Better yet I am looking for help with a problem. My bike has never been taken apart so everything is original with exception to an FMF pipe, rejetted and boysen reeds. It has sat for the past 8 years with maybe 20 miles per year(1800 in total). It always gets a carb clean and gas stabil. Over the last 2 years it became harder to start after sitting for periods of time (4-5 kicks to 10+) but once warm starts on 1 or 2 kicks. Last year I replaced the reeds and rejetted (was getting lots of oil in the silencer) and it was still hard starting when cold, but didn't have as much oil in the silencer. This year is pretty much the same, but now it seems to be smoking more. I fear a greater problem than carbonation since I burn Klotz 40:1 and the sweet smell it usually has does not match the amount of smoke. It did not get any better after it was warm either. A local shop told me it was probably the crank seal, but don't know how to diagnose for sure or where to get a manual to help with the repair.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
White smoke and a sweet smell would normally point to a coolant leak in the cylinder somewhere. Does the radiator level stay up? Are you leaving the gas petcock in the off position when the bike is off? Have you pulled off the head and checked the condition of the piston, rings and cylinder?

-Maurice

Kmcatam

Aug 3, 2004
Coolant level doesn't appear to have changed, but I will keep an eye on it. I plan on pulling the head and replacing piston and rings since they are original ones, also plan on cleaning the kips. Yes I do leave the petcock off when not in use.

Your thoughts on crank seal?

meistro60

Dec 8, 2003
Check to see if your gearbox oil drops after riding it for 30 minutes. If the crank seal is bad it will suck the gear oil into cylinder and spit the unburned residue out the tailpipe along with white smoke.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…