Jun 11, 2010
I had my 85 KDX out for some light riding and was running well and after it started to get hot it would smoke like crazy i put a 32:1 mixture of fresh gas today there was still smoke coming from the silencer could that be gunked up with crud?

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
thats funny normally i get excess smoke when cold and it clears when it warms up.
sounds like you need to check and see if you need new rings or freshen the top end, do compression check cold and warm and compare

if you silencer is gunked up repack it, but the gunk will not smoke it's self

Jun 11, 2010
at one point there was a bad mixture of gas in it but i had it started and i was reving it but at that point only rode it around the yard.

it didnt start crazy smoke until it got hot for the first time is it possible its burning out the excess oil

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
no not really if there was excess it would be smoking from the get go..

it could be the right side crank seal is letting oil in from the transmission side

Jun 11, 2010
well it starts off slightly smoky so is there a chance that it is the oil ?if not what needs to b done to get to the crank seal would i need to take the engine off and take it apart?

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
if you want to go cheap on your oil, do like I do, use lucas $6.99 a quart or castrol 2t $3.99 a quart O'Rieley's Auto parts carrys both and both do a good job...I have been on lucas for quite awhile now.

but don't try to run oils marketed for weed wackers and chain saws

I really don't think that is the root cause of your smoke though

Jun 11, 2010
i just got back from a quick ride and no smoke i cant even tell if there's gear oil in there i look into the hole and the gears seem to be lubricated but dont see where the lvl of transmission fluid is

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
you mean the sight glass... trick is to look at it while pulling the bike upright with your right hand on the bars...then you may see level coming up..hell my eyes are so bad I use a flashlight too

bultaco4ever

Oct 14, 2009
My buddy has an '86 and his bike started smoking whenever he climbed steep hills. Turns out this float bowl needle and seat was worn and fuel would overfill in the bowl and created a rich mixture that caused the smoke. You've got a similar age machine there. You might have the same problem.

Top Bottom