1991 kdx250 fork seal questions

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Got out riding again today now about the 3rd or 4th ride on the bike after getting everything dialed in. Well last week everything was fine, even jumping off a 5-6foot loading dock.

Well today, looks like a blew both fork seals. They are 4 rides old. They were fine most of the day and the last hour we spent jumping. I nose dived a jump and look at that in the video, I can see that is the start of where they were leaking. Now there was a lot of air built up in the forks which I bleed off when I got home.

do you think the seals will seal now that the air is out of the forks? or is something not installed right, bad seals or what?

I ran the 5w amsoil suspension fluid 4.5" from the top. The owners manual they recommend a level of 2.76". Would to much air cause that problem?

Thanks

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Matt,
Many times a leaky seal is caused by a particle of grit that has been forced between the lip and the slider. Pressure washing can contribute to this.

Before replacing the seals or trying drastic measures, take a business card or a 35mm strip of film and slide it between the seal and the tube. Slide it in deep, past the dust seal and down to the oil seal. If there is a particle in there, this will usually knock it loose.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom