1991 KDX250 vs KX250 carbs

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
So I am cleaning the airfilter and doing some other simple between ride maintenance. The bike is still smoking a little excessive but much better.

I was looking at the carbs from a 1991 KDX vs KX 250 and noticed the jetting is much richer on the pilot in the KX than the KDX. Why? Seems to be the same designed carb from what I can see. But the pilot is richer and the main is leaner on the KX.

KX - 52/160
KDX 42/165

Those are the stock settings. I noticed the needles are different also.

kx - N85C
KDX - 1368H

Any translation here would be greatly appreciated, especially on the needle differences.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Help anyone?

I put the needle in the first clip at the top and went to a 40/160 jetting today. helped the smoking a lot but still I have seen other bikes that never puff at all. What am I missing here? I am thinking that maybe the needle is worn and needs replaced. What would a CEL needle replacement do for me.

sorry for the carb questions, but I am about lost here.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Skip all this if you're looking for an answer....I don't have one/any.

A quick search didn't tell me whether this is right or not, but I am under the impression that the two motors are not at all alike. Similar to the 200/220..different port timing and such.

No?

Also, I don't see 'N85C' OR '1368H' in the needle info I have on this PC, FCR or PWK.

Maybe get the keihin #s from sudco..800-998-3529, plug those into JD's needle chart.

Big help, huh? Sorry 'bout that.

Why jet to smoke, not plug checks and response. If it runs terrific, why care if it 'puffs' or not?

If you don't have JDs chart...get the keihin numbers and I'll see if they work. That will also give you the answer to 'what will a CEL do for me?'

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Th R1369H does not cross. Kawasaki specific.

The n85C is a CCH needle.

From what I understand of the bike is that the headgasket is different sizes (thicker on the KDX to slow things down). But the bike was rebuilt before I got it with a KX ported cylinder and gaskets.

I did do the plug chops and then look good. But the bike is smoking clogging the pipe with oil and the silencer/SA. Seems that as I jet the bike leaner the hit is getting stronger quicker. Right now I went to a 40/160 jetting and that cleaned things up a lot. But from Sudco today, I have a #6 slide, 38 and 52 slow and 158 main coming with a CCH needle. Basically since the bike has been built up to the KX specs, jet it like such. Hopefully it works. I dug up some old info from Dave on his jetting and he did the #6 slide or #5 with 1mm cut and 38-42 slow, 158-160 main, needle one diameter thicker in the #2 clip from the top. Hopefully by the end of the week I will have a solution to this! Plus my Protapers on!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…