May 22, 2007
I recently got a 1993 YZ80, and put blue rims on it and a FMF Shorty silencer. The stock pipe has a huge dent in the back of it where its not visible. But my friend has the same bike and his is the same year, and his doesn't have the dent and his has a lot more power. Mine also doesn't have the same sound his does. Mine doesn't have that clear ping ping sound that my friends does. It still sounds like a two stroke of course, but it isn't as loud or as clear sounding as my friends. Mine just sounds to be bogged or something.

1st question: Is the dent the reason for power loss on my bike?
2nd question: Would a FMF fatty, or Pro circuit platinum pipe be a good investment? People have told me not to mix and match so would it be best for me to go with the FMF fatty?

Attachments

• P1020282.JPG
    P1020282.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 1,195
Mar 18, 2006
I describe the sound of a racing 2 stroke as a sharp "crackle" sound. Your low power is probably due to a worn top end. No big deal. Replace the piston and rings. If you have access to a compression tester, do a compression test. Or else do it by feel. Compare the feel of the kickstart to your friend's. Push it down somewhat slowly feeling for the compression stroke, and then do the same to the other bike. Look at your plug, it should be tan colored. Don't worry about the pipe yet. Make sure you have good compression and proper jetting first. Buy a shop manual. A way better investment than almost anything else. That looks like a nice bike. Probably just needs a little TLC.

May 22, 2007
Thanks for the advice =) and I just had a fresh top end put in a few weeks ago so it can't be that. It was doing the same thing before I got the new top end put in. It probably needs jetting. If I get the pipe for it, I will just take it to get it jetted, since everyone says if you change the exhaust you should get it jetted. Thanks for the kind words on the bike =).

kaboom1371

Jan 15, 2008
I would say jetting. if your running to rich you don't get the ringa ding ding as a leaner jetted bike will have. don't jet it to lean or you will run into worse problems..

Top Bottom