Gone crazy

Dec 28, 2010
Hey guys ive got a technical question on the 1997 Kdx 220 fork springs. I bought a set of xr .38 springs to put in like every one says to but i noticed by measuring the diameter of the springs in my bike the thickness of the wire of the springs were thicker than the Xr .38. So im not sure my springs are stock or not that came in the bike One coil of the wire of the spring measures 170 thou, or just barely over 4mm and the free length is 470 mm. These are the springs that came out of my bike but im not sure i did the right thing by replacing them i havent ridden the bike yet it was a basket case and im nearing finishing it but i dont want to bash the front wheel in by too soft springs.
if any one has a set o stock .35s can you measure them so i have something to compare to mine? Thanks :coocoo:

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
good question, I have a set out in the bunker but really don't feel like tearing them down. My race tech springs had a number on them about 2 or 3 inches down if you end up finding 40's or 42's I will swap you for my 38's no problem if thats what you want

Gone crazy

Dec 28, 2010
I wish these are 4.0s but i really need to know if these are 3.5s or not they are thicker than the honda 3.8s by quite a bit that i bought off ebay seems strange to me

Gone crazy

Dec 28, 2010
I think i would have to disagree with you theres not a whole lot of ways to increase spring strength that much with out going with more material or with different mixtures of the metal used in the spring, but you would still have to consider the stress on the thinner wire any way, and they would sack out. All i need is a measurement of 1 coil off a stock 3.5 spring.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
The stock XR400R spings are a fair amount longer than the stock KDX200 springs, so there is your difference. If they were the same length, then that would be a concern, but as it is, the length is different and comparing coil diameter is not comparing apples to apples, but apples to oranges.

Gone crazy

Dec 28, 2010
Thats another problem, the xr springs are very much shorter than the springs that came out of my bike, The difference is quite obvious to the naked eye even the diameter of the spring can be seen with out measuring As i said earlier in my post the free length is 470mm is that normal for stock springs also?And to be fair these are .38 Xr 250 Springs. But i still want to know the specks on the stock springs

Makeshoes

Nov 9, 2004
Here is the info from my spring swap from stockers to .42 from FRP....
The length of both the OEM and aftermarket spings are the same length (470mm).
Stock dia = .172, number of coils = 33
FRP's .42 dia = .182, number of coils = 37.5

Hope this helps! :cool:

Gone crazy

Dec 28, 2010
Thanks Make shoes that is the exact info i needed it looks like i definitly have stock springs. :( If any one would like to trade an excellent pair of .35s for a pair of 40s I would be willing.

Top Bottom