dirt_bike890

Nov 25, 2004
im going to look at a 1997 honda cr 125 on the weekend. it has a brand new top end and it has a fmf fatty pipe on it

is there anything i should look out for with this model and year??

thanks for all the help :yeehaw:

kevlt

Feb 28, 2005
check the filter, wheel bearings, ask about fouling plugs, if they foul alot its just the hpp valve, when you get it clean it out. Used to have a 97cr125, loved it, has great forks, and a good rear suspention. You should be able to get it for less than that, send in a low offer. ask if the bike has ever been in the sand, if so ask to take the filter off, if they say yes, look iside the air-boot and make sure there isnt any sand in it. If so I woul stay away unless pointing it out gets you a great deal. Of course dirt gets in there too, but sand is a pain in the butt and goes everywhere. :blah:

this is what I do when I look at bikes. Good luck :aj: :ride:

dirt_bike890

Nov 25, 2004
i bought it from one of my good friends so if there is any problems, he will come and check it out. What is the HPP valve?? how do you clean it out. i saw it on it but what exactly does it do?? :yeehaw:

Kyleb15

Oct 8, 2004
I believe he is talking about the powervalve. It is on the front of the cylinder. On my Yz 125 you have to take the cylinder or the engine off the bike to clean it. At low RPM's the valve is closed( which close the exhaust opening to about half). Then it opens at high RPM's which allows more exhaust out.I think that is what he is talkingn about.

keithb7

Feb 5, 2005
I believe my 1993 CR250 has the same powervalve. I completely took apart the powervalve as it was only partially opening. I did have the cylinder off as I was putting in a new top end. I took everything apart, cleaned up the parts using oven cleaner and a wire wheel on my bench grinder. I greased everything up and re-assembled. It moves freely now. I also have a very good understanding of how it all works. I am still awaiting the piston and rings to arrive so I have not been able to run the bike yet.

kevlt

Feb 28, 2005
just take the cover off, and spray it out with wd-40, work the valve back and forth until it is easy to move. Yes, the powervalve Kyleb15. You should do this once and a while to keep things moving. Another thing that might cause the plugs to foul--too rich of mixture, if the plug is wet when you take it out to replace it that is most likely the case.

Top Bottom