tristan

Jun 12, 2001
I might me getting a good deal on a low time 1998 kx250 and i was wondering if the bikes are good? Whats good about them? whats bad? Any information will help. Also is there any mods the bike absolutly needs?

Thanks for the information;)

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
It's still a great bike. Have Jeremy help you with the suspension and if you want to work on the performance of the engine, get Eric to port it and add a V-Force reed block.

I'm still so happy with this bike, that I haven't felt the need to get a new/newer one. Maybe next year.

What kind of deal are you getting? I'm seeing that bike prices seem to be down right now and most '00 bikes are under $4000, and I've seen an '01 YZ for $4000.

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
I've got one that I picked up in Jan. for $2900. Great deal. Blue book was $2650, but I had some really good parts on it. In '98, it was the 250 of the year, and was supposed to be the best 250 that Kawi's made. I believe it. The thing flat out rips! I've been on a '91 Kx250, a mint '86 RM250 bored 2mm over, '01 CR125 and not one of them can touch it. 727 is right thou', the boingers are a little off. Other than that, it's a great bike. I use it on the tracks and the trails w/out any major problems or switching of anything. Check out Kelley's Blue Book on the 'net and maybe NADA Guides. Kelley's gives prices for used bikes(among other things).

Hey 727 - Just how good is the V-block? Just got my engine back from Eric(.080 over kit) and think that it kicks boo-tay right now.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
It's been so long ago that I put it on that I can't remember what the bike was like without it. I do remember that it was a noticable change. I did put it on before Eric did the mo' better porting.

The V-force increased the power at both ends. There was noticeably more overrev. I love the bike. I want to get a new one, but I've been so happy with this one I just can't justify it.

LaRider20

Dec 27, 2000
I've got a 98' and I love it. I did make suspension upgrades because I weigh 230 pounds, and changed the reeds to carbon fiber, but other than that just the usual maintenance. I will be getting a new bike next year (noticed that I didn't say that I would be upgrading), and my then 15 year old son will be getting the 98'. I would be nuts not keeping the bike in the family. It is extremely dependable, very fast, and just oozes power!:eek:

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Originally posted by Honda318
98kx250s are as heavy as the 02crf450f

and we came to that conclusion, how? have you actually put both bikes on a scale? My paperwork for the KX has a claimed weight of 214. I think Honda is claiming a bit more on the 4 stroke (225 ?). But then again I have never actually weighed either.

Last edited:

tristan

Jun 12, 2001
thanks for the help guys. Yeah i really think im going to get it. Its $1500 (i know the guy) if theres anything else please tell me. Thanks;)

LaRider20

Dec 27, 2000
WOW!! $1500.00!! How well do you know this guy? That is an extremely good price. If I came upon that kind of deal, I'd be looking to see if he has a tube of KY jelley in his back pocket.:eek:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
LOL LaRider!
Yeah, one hell of a deal. And when you go pick the bike up, be careful when you bend over.;)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom