bake

Sep 20, 2001
Anyone know why my IT250 would be consuming base gaskets, I had a fresh one put on this spring and I think it's leaking now. The symptoms are the same as last time (overreving when warm) any way of proving it's the bsae gasket again?

Thanks
bake

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
A pressure leak down test will prove where it's leaking. You make even have a leaking left side main seal.

Did you have a shop do it? If so ask them how they knew it was the base gasket. I've never had a base gasket just "go" on me unless the base studs were loose or the gasket wasn't seated correctly (there would be a problem right from the get go if it wasn't seated right).

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
Check the base of your cylinder for scoring. If some tried to take the cylinder off with a screw driver as a pry bar, the base of the cylinder could be scorned and unable to seal correctly.

bake

Sep 20, 2001
The bike started running erraticaly last fall so I put it away for the winter. This spring I took it to a reputable mechanic who specializes in 2 strokes, he informed me of a blown base gasket and changed it for $80.00 (that seemed fair) Now after a good season it's doing the same thing and the mechanic is on holidays for another 2 weeks and I thought I would tackle it myself if I could prove it's the base gasket again. I don't have a leak down tester and this town is small and remote (read great rideing) with no one else I would trust to work on my 2 stroke.

bake

Stew312

Jul 8, 2002
Take your magneto cover off and check it there's oil around your flywheel. That might show you if you have a leak in your crank seal. You might also want to pull of your reed block and check the gasket between that and the intake flange. A leak in either one of those places may cause over-revving.

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
my friend has an it 200 and no matter what the base gasket always leaks a little. It dos not affect his performance. It seems like there is a bigger problem than just the base gasket. Definaltly get her looekd at. And those things are FAST.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Your cylinder base might be warped. You might just want to use two base gaskets and some Yamabond. That should seal it.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by MikeT
Your cylinder base might be warped. You might just want to use two base gaskets and some Yamabond. That should seal it.
2 base gaskets will lower the compression and change the port timimg.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by RM_guy

2 base gaskets will lower the compression and change the port timimg.
I know, but it's better than running lean and potentially blowing his crank... :D

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
It would definately be a start. The Yamabond should fill the spaces up....

Hmm, I just thought of something. The way you check for a crack in a metal, is wiping it down with oil, then drying it off, then putting some sort of powder on it. If there is a crack, the oil that seeped into it will soak into the powder (baby powder) that is spread on top. You might want to try that, but I'd just do the new gasket and Yamabond.

MikeT

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom