Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Hey all;
I am using Redline synthetic racing oil at 40:1 with premium pump gas. What I am noticing is after I run hard for awile and we stop for a break (rest that is) the tail pipe smells hot(?) This is the only word I can find to describe it. My jetting is good, and my plug chops look like lite black soot on the electrode insulator and some moistier around the thread gasket. the tail pipe has a thin oil film at the end of the days riding. I figure that if I were to lean the engine would have let me know before the top of the hill, so, has anyone else experienced this "smell" and should I maybe go back to a 32:1 ratio just to put more oil into the system.
Thanks
Lew

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The appearance you describe on your plug is perfect. I wouldn't want to run any leaner (changing from 40:1 to 32:1) without a jet change.

'More oil' isn't going to protect you against 'too lean'.

Maybe it's your packing?

No, I've never noticed my S/A smelling 'hot'. The bike in general, yes. Not particularly the S/A.

CC_RIDER

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 15, 2001
Lew, I had a thread on that same subject about this time last year.
I named the thread "That UH-OH Smell"
It smelled like overheated/burnt bearings. I believe it was just excess spooge built up in the pipe burning out. It stopped, and my bike has been running fine since.

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Thanks for the replies guys.
canyncarvr - It was not my intention to add more oil for lean -vs- rich. Only thought that more oil for lubrication. But, after CC_RIDER's post I went out and removed the boot between the pipe and s/a and found quite a collection of oil. I recently obtained the jetting where I feel it is on for my bike and conditions and believe now that it is left over oil in the exhaust (I was quite rich). I cleaned things up real good and will see what happens Saturday on our ride..
Thanks again for all the help :) :aj:
Lew

NHtrailrider

Aug 8, 2002
Some oils have very odd smells to them. I was using Silkolene Comp2, it was the worst smell. I couldn't bare it. I switched to Maxima Super-M and it went away, and is much more pleasant. Thanks Maxima!

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Make sure your side panel isn't melting! My silencer had a leak and I had forgotten to tighten the side panel. My guess is that it blew air out when I was on the gas and then sucked the melted plastic in when I let off. Talk about scary. I wasn't on it when it happened and was chasing my friend around the track on his bike trying to get him stopped thinking that my bike was about to blow! Pure white smoke was coming out, and the smell PU! Fixed the leak but still haven't replaced the side panel. Probably not your problem but I thought that you might enjoy the story.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I ran Red Line @ 38:1 for a while and did not notice an unusual smell regardless of temperature. There are threads that indicate that Redline reacts with the brass in the carb.

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
Not trying to stir up trouble. :debil: I know there's been a few who've said Redline turns brass black and draws water into the mix, but I've been using it for a while now (15-20 tanks) at 40:1 with good results. Clean blug, no affect on brass, no water and it's very clean burning, meaning no oil dripping or spraying out the pipe. Not trying to change anyone's mind, just my $.02.

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Well I went riding this weekend with A guy who uses maxima castor 927. I am going to switch to this just because it smells like a 2 stroke should. Ahh those childhood memories..
Lew

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Originally posted by Cactus Jim
Not trying to stir up trouble. :debil: I know there's been a few who've said Redline turns brass black and draws water into the mix, but I've been using it for a while now (15-20 tanks) at 40:1 with good results.

I have been using the redline for some time now with no complaints other than that "hot smell" This does not happen with my son's 200, and we fill from the same can. I have not noticed any blackening to the brass in my carb. As you just read in my post above I am switching to maxima castor 927 just cause eit smells good. I am sure it will lubricate as well too.
Lew

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom