2 feet of water :(

Feb 24, 2000
Hey guys i was riding my 04 KDX today and found myself stuck in a puddle that ended up being almost 2 feet deep. The bike stalled. It never fell over and after I pulled it out it wouldnt start and still doesnt. I hope i didnt accidently suck water into the engine. I'm fairly new so I don't know what to check. Would could be the problem? Thanks

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Ugh. Drowned KDX's are a mess. First thing to do is take your spark plug out and check it- bet it's got white greasy stuff all over it- that's water and oil mixing together. Kick it over with your hand and if it squirts water, you've got no recourse, IMHE, but to remove the pipe, carb, air inlet, KIPS port cover and flush/clean all those parts out until every indication of water is gone. I drowned my KDX 2 years ago by not covering the pipe when I washed the bike and it took me about 2 hours to get every cleaned out and the bike running again. A few weeks ago, I drowned out in an engine-deep crossing, but THANK YOU LORD!!!!, it started up (barely!!!) after a 15 minute sitting session and carb draining (lay the bike on side with gas on). Good thing, too, or it would've been a 5 mile walk home.....

Feb 24, 2000
NM_KDX200 when i checked the plug there was no white colored stuff, but the plug was a little black (spoogy) and oily so i replaced it on the trail. No water squirts out either.

Once I got stuck in the puddle the water was about 7 inched above the foot pegs. It started to sputter and then shut off. I'm going to lay the bike down and drain the carb as you did in the morning and maybe this will help. Is there anything else involved with draining the carb?

JasonWho i never wrecked and the bike was always up-right.

Thanks again for the feedback

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Would water getting inside the stator cover have an adverse effect on spark JasonWho? I'm not overly firmiliar with KDX's so it's just a guess from me.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
125 said:
NM_KDX200 when i checked the plug there was no white colored stuff,

That's good- that means you didn't suck (much) water into the engine. Even just a little water in the intake (and that includes the carb) will turn the plug white. Your problem is more likely something electrical that's wet. Check your connections and check the low end covers to see if water leaked in- probably just a matter of drying them out, but you do want to dry them so they don't rust.

Feb 24, 2000
hey guys thanks for the replys. First kick this morning and it started right up. Must of been electrical. The filter was dry last night after it happened so i think i'm safe. I guess i learned my lesson not just assume every puddle is 6 inches deep. By the way it took 3 guys to pull it out of the muddy water i'm very suprised it didnt get ruined. 3 weeks old and needing to rip it apart to rebuild would of sucked.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Funny thing- back in the late 70's, I used to have a "trick" Honda XL125 and I _routinely_ ran that thing in water past the sparkplug and it never drowned. I use to TRY to drown it and it took water up to the seat to kill it. Then, I just pulled the plug out, drained the carb, drained the airbox, kicked it over and motored happily along. I could also ride wheelies on that bike for a loonngg ways. Now, I've progressed to a KDX that dies in engine-deep water and had to be practically disassembled to run again, and on which I can't do "real" wheelies! Progress?? :) You betchya!! I wouldn't go back!

crazymike

Aug 10, 2000
This has been the worst year for water in the trails that I've seen in ages.

The other day I sunk my KDX over the seat and had to get winched out.

Lucky for me someone had borrowed my spark plug wrench without returning it to my pack and I couldn't change the plug on the trail.

After 30 minutes+ of solid kicking the back finaly sputtered back to life. About 2 gallons of water gushed out the exhaust and I was on my way. The only problem I had is the bike wouldn't idle after that. (dirt in the carb)

- clean your carb and spray out all the tubes and jets
- drain your exhaust of any water
- install a fresh plug
- CHANGE YOUR OIL

with all this your bike will hopefully fire back up to life. I'm almost positive the day my bike wouldn't start on the trail was because of the exess water in the exhaust.

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
rtv the left side cover, i've been thru water almost to the top of my boots with feet on pegs. just dont stop or lay it over

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…