2 stroke emissions???? Eric, a question???

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I am not too worried about them. The thing that bothers me is that in 5 years or so we might not see the two strokes due to regulations.

My question is this. If the factories put the same kind of energy they are spending making the new 4 strokes into a new clean burn two stroke design, would'nt we be miles ahead?

Eric, given a large enough budget, could someone like yourself design a two stroke that performs like we know them, without the emissions problems?

vmxservice

Jul 10, 2002
Honda already made an attempt with this. In a Dirtbike magazine(november 1997) that I had lying around was an article about this bike The exhaust valve didn't work as a power valve but was used to trap the exhaust port and then reburn the gasses. Also a few years ago Honda took part in Paris Dakar with a similar two stroke for testing. Not sure what came out of that. If you want I can scan the article and send it to you. e-mail me: [email protected]

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
If the EPA does impose limits on dirt bike emmisions it will affect 4-strokes too. Those engines will have to be fitted with fuel injection systems. Either way dirt bikes are going in the same direction as snowmobiles and watercraft.
A $10,000 dirt bike is on the horizon.
The one thing to remember is it will still be ok to ride your old dirt bike. Afterall when you look at the strict regulations imposed on cars, theres no restrictions on old cars. Thats actually the biggest part of the pollution problem. When I lived in Chicago I had to have my little Mitsubishi pick-up truck tested every 6 months for emmisions. I used to speed down the expressway for 30 minutes to warm it up enough to pass. As I'd turn out of the testing facility I'd see an early 70's car burning oil like a mosquito abatement truck and wonder why he gets to skip the test.
About 5 years ago I read a study by the SAE that surmised that we could drastically cut pollution in this country by removing only a small percentage of cars, those being older with oil buring problems. But that would involve mobile testing vehicles and the ability to take away someone's car that was an obvious polluter.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom