83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
ok i've only ridden an 83 MX80 4 stroke dirtbike and that was 5 years ago. and i tend not to rev it out in 1st. always 1st gear for me is a quick blip of the right hand and then shift it into 2nd. and my dad said i should rev it out more in 1st before i shift into 2nd. but it sounds like the thing is gonna blow up. and i shift fast. ok here's i how i start off from a stop. i get it going in 1st (course) then a quik blip of throttle, shift into 2nd, let the rpm's climb and wait for PB to kick in, then about 1/2 to 3/4 of the PB i shift into 3rd and repeat that through the gears. oh and BTW i ride an 82 KDX 175 2 scooter. and another thing, are these things smoother in 2nd when climbing hills? because there is a big sand hill that i want to climb thats maybe like 2 kms up the mountain. but im not sure how to climb it. like whats the body position when climbing hills? should i be sitting or standing? im just scared of the thing blowing up. any info would be great thanx. and should i be revin' the **** outta it?

Last edited:

kdx220freak

Registered
Aug 23, 2005
well, first thing is shift when you are comfortable, i never let my bike rev to high but when im racing it just does rev high. I can keep a good pace but first is not a gear to do anything in except go really slow up a big hill. So really 1st gear is a quick gear. Next when going up a hill lean foward not back so you dont tip. But if you think that you tire will spin you must put some weight on your rear wheel so you dont tip over. If it is a steep hill 2nd gear is a very good gear, try not to **** while going up a hill cause you will lose your momemtum. So try to make it up the hill in 1 gear. If you can just stop put it in first and go.

bpositive

Jul 11, 2005
i have an 82 kdx 175 first gear is uselsss i don't even start in first flat ground that bike has tons of power ( no suspension, it's heavy as hell , ) but ton's of top end power..

stand up and hit that hill haulin ass in third reving like crazy( that's how bikes in 82 run ---wide open) if the rpms drop then drop a gear ..

kdx220freak

Registered
Aug 23, 2005
dang, thats hardcore, i guess i was a little to leanient but like he said also, first gear is useless. I would nto rev it like he is saying but dont be afraid to let it rip once and a while

StrokesX2

Mar 2, 2005
First gear is not useless at all. I rev the crap out of all the gears. If you're a little kid, maybe you can get by with a quick 1st.

Also, don't be afraid to rev the KDX. It lets you know when you're out of RPMs.

KDXMAC

Sep 13, 2004
all engines were designed to be rev, most engines are over engineered and unless you have fully worked the engine. Other wise you can run it in the higher rpm range all day.....this is assuming the engine is healthy & clean. Remember though don't ride out side your ability, but don't be afraid to try somthing different everytime you ride. You will get used to reving the bike hard. One way to get used to high rpm is not to snap the throttle open but slowly open it up from idle to full throttle, you can do this as slowly as you want and in any gear. Good luck and have fun.

kdx175

Sep 7, 2004
Don't worry about the KDX blowing up! I rev my 175 out in all gears for 4 years and she still checks out on the compression tests :aj: ! Those 175's seem to be a hard bike to kill... boo yaa! If you think youre first gear is useless go up a tooth or two on youre front sprocket then she'll be nice n' speedy for you!!

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
wow thanx. i was going through a little trail today trying to get used to the bike.

hey bpositive- can you get the front end up on your 175? and if there is a little drop off and you want to give it throttle to land flat can you do that on your 175? i can not do that if my life depended on it. and i know if i ride over my ability because for me the KDX will let me know. i can climb small hills with my quad all day long and not get scared of the friggin thing. but i seem to get scared of the KDX once in a while. but the funnest feeling that ive had is if im in 2nd gear and going kinda slow and turn a little bit and blip the throttle and the ass end goes out a little bit. its an awesome feeling. thanx for all the reply's.

Top Bottom