2 stroke smoke (how to limit?)

sbleakle

Mar 10, 2002
I'm new to this 2 stroke business. I have an '89 KX250 playbike that I recently worked some bugs out of -Thanks to everyone on the list- and it is running. It smokes though. It has good compression so I'm thinking the rings are good. I know 2 strokes smoke some due to their design but how can I limit the amount? Different premix ratio? Mixture change? Am I wasting my time?

thanks!
Steve

dirtbike59

Sponsoring Member
Oct 12, 2000
you can try and buy clean burning oil . but what ratio are you mixing at? i find 40:1 on my RMX 250 works well. but 32:1 is also a good place to start if you are still new to 2 strokes. you are not wasting your time just feel free to try different oils and different ratios. Heck it took me 5 month to find out the motul 800 racing 2t was the best for my bike set up.

dragonmx

Mar 18, 2002
2-stroke smoke

I'm wondering what your plug looks like. Is it black and wet? Maybe you are running too rich? Possibly your crank seals are dried out and leaking. go to:
http://www.eric-gorr.com/twostktech/twotopweb_2t.html#Maintenance and Inspection
http://www.eric-gorr.com/techarticles/sparkplugs.html and compare your plug to the first two pictures. A bike that sits for awhile tends to let the seals dry out (yes, I know this from experience).

When you put everything together did you do a leak down test? Eric Gorr's website talks about doing Crankcase Pressure Testing in the first few paragraphs at the following link:
http://http://www.eric-gorr.com/twostktech/twotopweb_2t.html#Maintenance and Inspection

Last edited by a moderator:

sbleakle

Mar 10, 2002
I'm running Yamalube in the premix at 32:1. I think I'll make up some 40:1 and see how it does. The carb is a brand new Keihin PWK 38mm air-strike with a 170 main jet and a 55 slow jet. I haven't yet got a chence to get it out and run it enough to check the plug but that is next.

thanks for everyone's help!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Never really thought of how to limit the smoke. Make sure your air filter is really clean.. You don't want to lean it out too much because then you can sacrifice your engine just to lessen the smoke a little. This also brings up a good question. Are the 2-stroke oils we use today "smokeless" or is that just a term put on the bottles to calm the enviros??

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
I know once my bike is up to operating temps, it doesn't hardly give off any smoke at all. I'm running Silkolene Pro2, @ 40:1. Its fully synthetic and is a so-called smokeless oil. All I know that my buddy's 02 KX250 running Maxima 927 Castor smokes like a bandit. One problem probably is jetting, but it also has that "sweet" smell to it.

sbleakle

Mar 10, 2002
Hucker-

Since your RM and my KX are about the same vintage, I'll try your recipe of Silkolene at 40:1. I think maybe the engine just needs run and heated up. The bike has been sitting for a year so I expect it to run a little funky at first. I hear all the time that the manufacturers jet the bikes rich from the factory so if your buddy is running the stock jets, that may be the source of alot of the smoke.

Just not used to this stuff. I restore old BMW bikes. Huge difference.

thanks!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
It could be that the right side crank seal is leaking tranny oil into the cylinder. Before you mess with jetting or oil changes, make sure the seal is good by having a leak down test done, or just change it since the bike is that old. They're not that hard to change. At least the RM seals are easy to change with out splitting the cases.

In any case it's always a good idea to make sure everything is up to spec before chasing any engine problems.

Racinante

Oct 3, 2001
I Feel Your Pain!

I'm new to this 2-stroke thing as well. I just bought a '91 KX 250 last summer. I had the same problem. The bike would blow massive amounts of smoke and barely run at low rpm. Crack into the powerband & wind it out: no smoke and awesome power. I cleaned the air filter and chased jets around but still didn't find an answer. I would sit here and cram "Leak Down Test" in your face, but I have yet to do that myself. What clued me in to the fact that the right side crank seal was leaking was the disappearance of crank oil. I've heard that due to the change in compression ratio between low and high rpm of 2-strokes, when the right side crank seal leaks, it will run great on top end and not smoke, but run horribly on low end and oil foul plugs. I had to take out a loan to cover my plug replacement costs. ;) If your bike is running horribly on low end, I would suggest a leak down test before I would chase a bunch of jets down.

BTW thanks to some info from our friends at Dirt Rider.Net, I was informed by a guy that has a '92 KX 250 that you have to split the cases to replace the crank seals. I hope you don't have to go that far though!

I'm getting ready to send my engine to Eric Gorr for a total rebuild and another guy told me that Eric is able to bore out the seal housing in order to make further replacements easier.

Good luck! Just tryin' to arm you with some info.

sbleakle

Mar 10, 2002
Yes I have heard the bad news about KX's needing to split the case to get to the crank seal. I am contemplating that since some PO stripped out the drain plug and it needs fixed anyway. So it's really difficult to determine if the crank seal is leaking by loss of case oil since the thing leaks it. I rode it a couple of weeks ago on some trails and didn't foul a plug but after checking the plug, the electrode is covered in shiny black oil but it is dry. Obviously the bike is getting too much oil and I don't think I want to tear down the motor just yet. It seems to run fine at low RPM and doesn't cut out or anything. I'm going to post a photo of it so some of you experts can see the amount of smike coming out of it and let me know what you think.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…