2 stroke white smoke, what does it mean?

jhuerta

Aug 1, 2006
I took my bike into a shop to have them replace the oil seals between the water pump and crankcase on the right side and now when I start it a bunch of white smoke is coming out. It was not this white before I took it in. I removed the spark plug and it did have some oil on it. I have never own a dirt bike before so I don’t know if this is normal, Is it?. I took a look at spark plug and it had oil on it, it this okay? I was thinking on replacing the gas with a different oil ratio to see if this would correct it. Thanks :ride:

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I told a friend once he had burned valves in his rm 250 2 stroke. I thought he knew I was joking. He did not. He was very angry the next day after demanding the dealer fix his "valves"

Do you notice the level in your radiator dropping????

I know my bike throws some very cool smoke right after oiling the airfilter. The maxima burns a very pretty blue color.

j32

Uhhh...
Jun 8, 2006
sounds like crank case oil
this is from the oil seal ,or the center gasket -the oil gets in the cylinder and burns with the fuel and oil , but i never had one burn white!!?
it was green or nasty lookin and you could smell the differance
check the crank oil level see if id dissapearing lol the shop should have checked that
was the oil grey from water being in it???
why did you replace the water seals?? the shop should have known

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
White smoke is usually steam. You have probably blown your head gasket. Change it before you have a big problem.

jhuerta

Aug 1, 2006
I just got the bike but I had to take the bike to the shop to have them replace the oil seals because I had to replace the crankcase (cracked) and kick starter axel (bent) and I tried to do it myself then I notice that oil was dripping from the little hole on the bottom of the bike. I have not even had a chance to fully ride the bike yet just on the street. I do have a new air filter on so maybe that explains the white smoke. It was not doing that before I took the bike in to the shop. I will also check the raidator. Thanks

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
The air filter won't do it.

jhuerta

Aug 1, 2006
You know I have not change the gas since I got it but I’m going to empty the gas tank and start with a fresh batch. I will do this today. I have another question, does the crank case need to be filled to the top with oil. I have a YZ250 and it has a little knob that you twist off. Should the oil be filled to the top? Because When I got the bike back from the shop it wasn't?

motodr9

Sep 1, 2003
You need a manual

Do NOT fill to the top with oil! Most bikes require about 650-800ml of oil. Check to see exactly how much oil your bike requires before you change it.

Top Bottom