Peterks

Apr 19, 2002
Does anyone have good or bad experience with two way helmet mounted radios? I have looked at the Chatterbox systems but I don't have any information as to how well they work.

Thank you,

Peter

jwabram

Spammer
May 17, 2002
A lot of the guys on the street use the chatterbox and swear by them. They prefer the model with the 5 mile radius. Two words of caution. First, they say that the voice activated system can be a pain if you have a loud exaust. Second, might want to check the legalities if your talking about a racing situation. I could be wrong, but I thought I read a thread that stated AMA sanctioned races forbid radio communication with a driver. I'm no expert so you might want to check with someone that knows what they are talking about.

Also, I talked to a guy about the install and he said it was a piece of cake.

Hope that helps.

jw

kevinkdx

Mar 25, 2001
i have a pair of radios from collett communications for snowmobile riding. they have voice activation. they work out good but the only complaint is not being able to hear what the other person said when you are on the throttle. they just don't go loud enough. however we have had very good success with them but if i were you i would get the chatterboxes. just my 2 cents worth.

Peterks

Apr 19, 2002
Thanks for the info guys. I'm also looking into the specifics of the FRS and GMRS type radios. One of the things I've learned so far is that the antenna length matters a great deal. The short 3 inch versions that come with some of these radios greatly hinders the performance. One person I contacted mentioned trading up to a 1/4 wave with a 6 inch length for his radio. A second person mentioned that a full wave antenna at 30 inches would be ideal.

Now I am wondering if the Chatterbox will accept an external antenna...

Top Bottom