200 Carb On 220

barrie36

Mar 8, 2004
Hi all,got the chance of a 01 200 carb,to put on my 01 220,is there any thing i need to know before purchasing,ive just put a Gnarly on it and its running really sweet,so would putting a 200 carb make much difference,or is it a waste of money :ugg: also my Gnarly only has 073-020057 on it so how can i tell whether its a rev or a torque pipe,look forward to some replies,barrie.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Look on both tabs, inside and out.

I didn't check the number you list. The -35 (torque) is about 11" around where the cones meet, the -30 (rev) is about 14".

It's certainly not a waste of money. Well, assuming you aren't getting robbed on the deal.

Make sure it's not damaged: Stripped/seized/broken bowl screws? Scratched up throttle valve (slide)? Does the choke stay when pulled up? Damaged idle screw (check the tip)?

Your best bet is that the seller is a reputable, decent person. Buying, say, from some unknown e-bay-er? Good chance of getting burned.

Certainly know what the jet set-up is before you use it. A 200 runs considerably different jetting than a 220. A different carb will change that somewhat, but it won't make the 220 identical to the 200 just 'cuz the carbs are the same.

A rev profile pipe takes a considerably richer jet-set than does the torque profile.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
RE: If anyone knows it's him.

Yeah. None of the other gadozen riders that have done it...or CDaves site know squat.

Besides, fredette has nothing better to do than answer the phone and talk to folks about 'stuff'.

Heck, call ron, too! Talk to him for awhile.

See if EG is in.

A few jibes..but please realize that these guys are IN business and would likely prefer STAYING in business. That kinda precludes bs'ing on the phone all day with non-customers.

Some courtesy and common sense would be good.

A bit of research on this and related sites (like CDaves justkdx) will tell you it's a good move for the 220. You don't need to ask fredette 'fer crine out loud.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
'Ya see...I've talked to some of these vendors about exactly the sort of thing you're recommending....and they COMPLAIN about you (collectively speaking), as rightly they should.

They are NOT free tech support....heck, they aren't tech support at all. Take a small speck of time to figure out how much work they'd get done if they talked to 5% of the riders that know of them for only five minutes a week.

Has nothing to do with words of wisdom from anyone almighty. It's just common sense.

Oh...wait.....

:think: Maybe that's the problem.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I found this:
http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=71347

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I worked profusely testing a problem I had on my bike for 9 months before I dared calling Eric. My call to him lasted less than 5 minutes and did generate business for him since I eliminated virtually every other option through my testing before I called him. I had all of my results logged and could answer every question he threw at me to help diagnose the problem. I super respect these experts in our sport and would never abuse the privilege of having access to them. I always encourage others to do the same. I believe in the old saying, "If you need a hand first look at the end of your own arm".

Zforty5

Oct 6, 2003
Let me give you all the info you did'nt ask,
1. While ordering parts from FRP, Fredette was looking in his warehouse for the parts I asked for, as he was looking, we were talking about the 250f he is currently riding and how he liked it.
2. Since we were already on the phone I asked a quick question about midrange bog, he suggested I run the 1173K needle, ask if I wanted it, I saids yes, he shipped it I put it in with jetting recommendations and wa la! no bog.
3. This was a buisness call that resulted in a customer for life because he took the time to give me his opinion (great customer relations).
4. If you disagree with how this was handled, that's ok, it's your opinion and you are intitled to it, but, this doesn't give anyone the right to bag on, put down or belittle another person because they disagree.

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…