Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
Just thinking out loud here. Wouldn't mind a lot more bottom end on my 06 200, so just wondering if I put a 220 jug and head on the bike and used my standard 35mm 200 carb how would it go? I am also adding a flywheel weight to the 200 which would be staying if I change the top end to a 220. My riding style is that I like torque and I like to short shift, I never really like screaming a bike. I ride some tight, steep slippery woods trails.

Thoughts anyone?

Last edited:

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
I suggest the full conversion. The smaller carb is an important contributor to the 220's power delivery.

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
My opinion, of course...
Not as dramatic as the difference between a KDX200 and KX125, but you get the idea... it DOES pull better.
On the carb, I think you'd lose more low rpm power than you would gain at higher rpms.
For me, the auto clutch and 220 power makes up for my lack of skills. ;)

Dec 15, 2010
i`m running the 200 (35mm) carb on my 220 along with a boysen rad valve & my 220 pulls very strong with a useful mid range hit...i use the 220 needle (clip pos 2) with a 42 pilot jet & 152 main in the 200 carb rather than the 200s std jets etc .

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
I put a 220 jug on my 200. I retained the 200 carb rejet of course. It works fine has better bottom end. I can't say if the 220 carb would be better or not I have not tried it. It would never hurt to try it with the stock 200 carb first before investing in another carb.

Dec 15, 2010
i`m running the fmf gnarly with powercore2 silencer..snorkle removed from the airbox + i`ve added 3 small `uni filters` to the top of the lid for a little bit of extra air rather than hack away at the whole lid...my jetting with the 200 carb is slightly leaner than the std 200 carb as i`m running the boysen rad valve..that & the fact a 220 is ported different to that of a 200 anyway...jetting is a pain & every bike runs different but once you get it right its sweet.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Just take your stock 200 jug, and have Eric Gorr bore it out to a 225, and get a matched weisco piston. That gives you nicksil plating, and it works great with the stock 200 carb. Ive ridden 200's, 220's, and my 225 and the 225 is the best of the bunch (but the 220 with a pro-circuit and VForce is REALLY close to my 225 with FMF Torque and Boysen 2 stage reeds).

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
More power to you if you can find cheap parts.. but you don't want the stock KDX-220 piston, it is a grenade waiting to go off. So you want (and will be buying) a new Weisco anyway. And if you can find the stock 220 cylinder used, that's great also, but it is tungeston elctro diffussion or something... not terrible, but nowhere near as durable as something like nickisil. So you might have to re-bore that stock 220 jug.

At which point, you are spending more than the 225 kit (send your stock top end to be bored and plated, get the Weisco and to end crank bearing and pins and circlips, and get the Weisco piston). Same as what you were doing, except you didn't have to buy the 220 cylinder, you rebored the one you already had.

I think the whole deal was around $500, and that included head porting. I know that's a lot to put into a KDX these days, but its not just "turn a 25 hp motor into a 27 hp motor", it's a "build a motor you can run for several hundred hours without doing a thing to" motor. And the nicisil is probably a "life of the bike" plating.

Dec 15, 2010
if $$$$ is the question then perhaps install a torque ring from F.R.P it`s cheap start & gives a little bit of bottom end...next try a boysen rad valve or v force 3 again these should give good throttle response in the lower-mid range power..as for fitting a 220 carb on the 200 i`m not sure if that will work as good as again the 200s are ported different to that of the 220..you could also try going up a few teeth on the rear sprocket to say a 50t.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
Joburble said:
Just thinking out loud here. Wouldn't mind a lot more bottom end on my 06 200, so just wondering if I put a 220 jug and head on the bike and used my standard 35mm 200 carb how would it go? I am also adding a flywheel weight to the 200 which would be staying if I change the top end to a 220. My riding style is that I like torque and I like to short shift, I never really like screaming a bike. I ride some tight, steep slippery woods trails.

Thoughts anyone?
Just go with the added flywheel wgt for a while on your 200 and see if it suits you. A 220 needs no added flywheel, it is torquey enough. The bigger carb on a 220 jug with added flywgt is a contradiction of sorts.

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
mideastrider said:
I put a 220 jug on my 200. I retained the 200 carb rejet of course. It works fine has better bottom end. I can't say if the 220 carb would be better or not I have not tried it. It would never hurt to try it with the stock 200 carb first before investing in another carb.

I've got a 35mm carb on a 220 and I think you'll be fine. The slightest reduction in low end torque is made up by smoother power thru the midrange, especially with the Pro Circuit pipe. The stock 220 cylinder is great ! Don't let anyone touch the ports ! It's Probably the most linear power of any two stroke you'll ever find. The 200 has great power but it hits too hard and is only great from 2/3's to wide open , hard to do that here on the east coast.

Last edited:
Top Bottom