RickSA

Jan 24, 2008
Hi All

Could someone please help? I have just bought a 2000 KDX200 and am having trouble with the jetting! The guy i bought the bike from used to ride at about 5000 feet, 28C. I'm at about 5600 feet, 25C.
I think the bike was running rich before because of all the excess oil and carbon in the KIPS valves, and with the higher altitude it's even worse!

The Kawasaki service agent was also running it with a B9EG, they say the colder plug is because of the Gnarly pipe and fiberglass reeds! Is this right??

I tried to do a WOT plug chop but am worried the colder plug is affecting it? :bang:

Could someone help me with a starting point?

Thanks
Rick

IndyKDX

Oct 16, 2007
google "Spanky's Jetting Guide". i haven't tried it yet, but it looks to be right on the money as far as basic instructions for jetting. good luck.

glockcop

Jan 28, 2008
2000 KDX200 Jetting

I need more info on your current setup.

What jets are currently in the Carb?

What mixture was he using?

A heavy mixture and / or stock jets will cause oil to blow out the pipes. I live in denver and was able to use the factory jets up over 10k but I had no power band and had black oil coming out the pipe (and all over the back of my jersey).

600ft in elevation will not make a difference. I can't even notice a change in the bike with an elevation change of 1500ft during a days ride.

If you are concerned about excess oil and carbon in the KIPS Valve, don’t be. This is normal and should be cleaned every season or two depending on how and how much you ride.

As for the Plug, I run the stock plug BR8ES. I figure at altitude there is less Oxygen so you would want to keep the hotter plug to ensure complete burning of the mixture. I run a heavier fuel mixture (32:1) than some (24:1) but I never foul my plug and it always is clean when I pull it.

Here is a copy of my cheat sheet. Now I know I have a 220 but I traded my 33mm carb for my wife’s 35mm carb from her 200. (it gives her more bottom end torque and my self more top end. I did not notice any change in my bottom end but my top end keeps me along side of a 99 KX250)

Kawasaki KDX220
Model year = 2000

higher, warmer, or wetter = leaner

Altitude Main Jet Pilot Jet
0 160 48
5,000 145 45
10,000 140 42

1173 needle - position setting is the middle
BR8ES - Stock Plug
fuel ratio (12oz oil - 3gal gas) = 32:1

Pilot Jets = 21 Series
Main Jets = 13 Series

Modifications that have been made:
- Air box - The air intake opening has been made larger.
- Carburetor - Factory 33mm carb replaced by 35mm carb.
- Exhaust Pipe - FMF Burley pipe.
- Silencer - FMF

Bob

P.S. At altitude you need to open up the airbox to allow more oxygen in. Check to see if this mod has been made on your bike and complete if it has not.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom