2000 KX Cylinder removal

bagolies

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
I have the bike all apart,but can't get the cylinder off the cases it seems to be hanging up on something. Could the power valve linkage have something to do with it.

A-RustyDemon

~SPONSOR~
Dec 9, 2002
Well guy I'd say must likely.. What did your service manual say about removing the cylinder.. Oh wait don't tell me your one of those " I don't need no stickin' manual" types.. If you don't all ready have one.. get one. They have lots of helpful info and spec.'s that will make working on your bike enjoyable rather then a unending nightmare. :D

Matt_H

Sep 13, 2001
If your KIPS valve arm is off then your alignment pins are probally holding it on take a rubber hammer and gental tap the cylinder all the way around and try to take it off by moving it back for forth. BE VERY CAREFUL.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
There is a lever connecting the jug to the lower motor. You need to disconnet it. Bisides that, if it's sticking a little, tap it with a rubber mallet. The things holding the jug on are the exhaust, cooling hoses, spark plug, PV lever, carb, top motor mount, and the 4 base nuts from what i can remember.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Most likely your power valve arm is still hooked up on the wheel that goes on the rack .Look at the right side of the lower cylinder their is a cover, take it off. You will see a wheel, their will be a clip holding the wheel ,pop it off,put a paper towel over it so it doesn't fly across the room.Grab a 9mm open wrench put it on the arm next to the wheel,pull the arm towards you with one hand on the wheel,when you pull the arm all the way towards you slide the wheel off.KX'S CYLINDERS LIFT RIGHT OFF EASY!!!!!!

Last edited:

bagolies

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
Thanks for the help. I got it off, It was the power valve arm holding it up. And believe me the first thing I bought when I got the bike was a shop manual. I was in the process of moving and it wound up in storage with everthing else I own(besides my bike). Now the cylinder is off to Eric Gorr to have alittle porting done.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…