aweebitofjt69

Oct 18, 2009
Hey I am new to this forum. I have a 2000 RM 250 with a Pro Circut Platinum pipe and FMF power core 2. The clutch is very unsmooth when cold. Instead of letting out, it just snaps. It gets better as the bike warms up. I have yet to check my Tranny oil. Should I just change it? I also have to adjust the cable too because it catch too late. If you have any suggestions please tel me.

aweebitofjt69

Oct 18, 2009
Just looked at the Tranny oil. Brown so it needs to get replaced. It also seemed a bit low. I wonder if its the problem. Please some responces

Last edited:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
You did find 1 issue already, someone is slacking on oil changes? The oil should be changed every couple hours, at least! Vintage Bob
To prevent issues, not cure them.

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Hello, and welcome to the forum. I see you are experiencing the famous, evil-older-suzuki-clutch. I also have a 2000 RM250.

The clutch doesn't work half the time, and when it does it's like an on/off switch. Quite miserable in tight trails. Easy to stall out when you're trying to get going, took my friend 6 tries just to get it going.

I've been told by several knowledgable peope including the Suzuki bike shop, that it's just they way the suzuki (older) clutches are. You can buy a brand new stock clutch and it will be the same way, getting an aftermarket one is the only way to change it. Used to have a '96 RM and it was the same way, worked fine, but on-off and nothing in between.

Also, as previously mentioned, change the oil on a regular frequent basis.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
250girl said:
Hello, and welcome to the forum. I see you are experiencing the famous, evil-older-suzuki-clutch. I also have a 2000 RM250.

The clutch doesn't work half the time, and when it does it's like an on/off switch. Quite miserable in tight trails. Easy to stall out when you're trying to get going, took my friend 6 tries just to get it going.

I've been told by several knowledgable peope including the Suzuki bike shop, that it's just they way the suzuki (older) clutches are. You can buy a brand new stock clutch and it will be the same way, getting an aftermarket one is the only way to change it. Used to have a '96 RM and it was the same way, worked fine, but on-off and nothing in between.
Seriously?

Also, as previously mentioned, change the oil on a regular frequent basis.
Seriously?

aweebitofjt69

Oct 18, 2009
Just bought the bike because it was such a deal. 900 and its pretty nice for a 2000. Has a Pro Cicut pipe and FMF silencer. I talked to two local dealers. one said that it is mostlikely the basket and the other said just get the kit and change the plates and springs since if the basket is garbage, so it the rest pretty much. So I think ill buy the kit and go from their. Thanks

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Get the Hinson basket, inner and outer hubs, better springs, new clutch pack, and run Xamax racing transmission oil. It will not slip, surge or overheat. It may not be possible to find for a 00, and REAL expensive. Pretty much use as little Suzuki parts as possible. You have to take it apart and inspect for grooves, notches, in the basket and inner hub. And measure the plates with a micrometer and check for being flat. Check the hub faces for grooves or a real sharp edge, any sign the plate has worn into it. Change the oil often, think about usage, it has 2 positions, in and out, anything else is abusive, and covering your riding or tuning mistakes. Keep the cable free play set right. You can get 2 or more stiffer springs in it? Save more money in the long run! Vintage Bob

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The clutch feels like sh!t because the plates cannot seperate/move as they should. The plates and basket/hub wear into one another which prevents them from sliding. Ideally you should replace a notched hub or basket and the plates, sorta like a new chain should be run on new sprockets, they wear together. As Bob said, Hinson makes more durable components but they are darn near worth thier weight in gold. Lots of people have had good luck with Wiseco baskets and Tusk clutch kits.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
250girl said:
Yep it's what I've experienced, and been told by people that know a lot more about bikes than me.
Now you can tell them no its not. You just need the 3 to 600 to fix the motor, and 800 or so for a really cute clutch! And, cases of oil and top ends ready. 250girl will be Canada's' next womens off road National Champion. Vintage Bob

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I don't know what the scrap is on Suzuki clutches. I have a 2001 and a couple of years ago I thought I better change the plates. I took it apart and they were barely worn so I left them in. The basket is not notched either after 9 years of riding. Now granted, I don't get out as frequently as I'd like but I do use the clutch a lot and it gets a workout in the tight woods--even more before I added a flywheel weight.

I change the oil every 3-4 hours with the cheapest 10w-40 motor oil I can find and it's still going strong.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
RM_guy said:
I don't know what the scrap is on Suzuki clutches. I have a 2001 and a couple of years ago I thought I better change the plates. I took it apart and they were barely worn so I left them in. The basket is not notched either after 9 years of riding. Now granted, I don't get out as frequently as I'd like but I do use the clutch a lot and it gets a workout in the tight woods--even more before I added a flywheel weight.

I change the oil every 3-4 hours with the cheapest 10w-40 motor oil I can find and it's still going strong.
The real fly in the pie, comes out after abuse. Who's clutch can take the least abuse, stock, RMs. Vintage Bob

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
RM_guy said:

I think the aluminum used in the basket is a bit softer than most. As long as the basket and hub stay notch free the Suzuki clutch works fine.

Fresh oil is important to the clutch.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I'm not saying it won't notch with abuse...I had a 92 RM that had deep notches but I bought it used from a Pro racer. All stock clutch baskets are aluminum and will all wear the same and abuse and lack of maintenance are the only things that will make them wear differently.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Between my son and I we have owned 7 zooks and I will say from my experience the clutches are the weak points of the brand without question. There is no doubt that my son should be placed on a clutch abuse registery but our experiences with the the clutches on his last 2 RM125's and his 07 RMZ250 are a large part of the reason we now ride green.

My 02 RM250 rarely ridden by a slow guy like me was better but still not an A+ piece of equipment.

A well maintained stock Zook clutch should still not operate improperly as 250girl is stating. Our standard setup was to use the stock basket until it notched and then replace it with an aftermarket Hinson basket, we stayed with the stock hubs because they were cheap to replace.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
My younger son used to lug the motor. It tore up the opposite side that my older son did. If you look at another basket and hubs, most move the oil into the clutch better, it would seem. Honda fibers are the best. But its all for not, if you do not change the oil, think you are speed racer by slipping/fanning the clutch, and lugging the motor under the power band. Learn throttle control, it works a lot better! Vintage Bob

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Chili said:
A well maintained stock Zook clutch should still not operate improperly as 250girl is stating.

I wasn't saying a properly maintained one doesn't work properly, just that mine doesn't... for whatever reasons.

I was saying that they tend to be like an on/off switch even when maintained properly, which can drive riders nuts. I think it's only the 2000 and older RM's that do it.

I wanted a YZ in the first place, should have gotten one. They have nice clutches :nod:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
250girl said:
I was saying that they tend to be like an on/off switch even when maintained properly, which can drive riders nuts. I think it's only the 2000 and older RM's that do it.

A properly maintained and adjusted zook clutch operates as well and in the same manner as any clutch I've used on any brand of bike.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Chili said:
A properly maintained and adjusted zook clutch operates as well and in the same manner as any clutch I've used on any brand of bike.
My experience has been the same.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Chili said:
My point exactly! :nod:

aweebitofjt69

Oct 18, 2009
Since this thread I was sick with Bronchitits and today I changed the oil and it fixed it. Smooth as butter. Thanks for the thoughts though and this winter I will look at the clutch in detail.

JT

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom