2001 cr250 fork seal replacement

coperam

Mar 12, 2001
I just replaced the fork seal on the left side(ft. disc side) for the second time. The first time it lasted 3 rides and this time it started to leak badly during the first ride. What could be causing it to leak so soon? I'm wondering if I installed it correctly? Do you have to retorque the fork tubes in the triple clamps after putting the front wheel on? I just don't know why it is always on the left side and what could make it leak right away. It didn't leak at home!!!
Any suggestions appreciated.
coperam

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
have you checked the fork leg for dings or scratches, are the bushings OK?

coperam

Mar 12, 2001
bclapham,

Thanks for the reply. The bushings look fine and I didn't notice any scratches on the inner fork leg.

RGalesi

Aug 19, 2002
Are you using appropriated tools? A friend of mine trashed two fork seals trying to put them in place with a screwdriver...

Just a thought...

coperam

Mar 12, 2001
RGalesi,

I did use a homemade forkseal driver out of pvc tubing split down the side. I think it gives an even pressure and I didn't see any sharp edges.

RGalesi

Aug 19, 2002
Well... Do these things have a correct side to be installed? Maybe you're installing them upside-down?

I know that a very little risk in the fork leg would cause leaks... Maybe you can't see it, but its there... Hopefully not, though...

Also, could be that the dust guards are not preventing dirt/mud/dust to affect the oil seal? Are you riding on the mud?

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
New fork seals can be trashed in short order by letting the mud dry on the tubes and then riding the bike . The wipers seem to do their best but cant always accomadate dried mud & splash . Sometimes Ive seen aftermarket seals fit very loose in the alum tubes and maybe thats your problem. Stay away from those leak proof aftermarket thingys their just a gimmick and are loaded with stiction. GOOD LUCK DEAN Check those tubes again very carefully .and look for mud streaks

coperam

Mar 12, 2001
Sorry for the delayed response. I rebuilt the left fork again. This time I used tape to cover the end of the fork to enable the seal to slide without tearing. I also froze the seal and warmed the tube so that it went in easier. So far, it doesn't leak. I get to go try it out tomorrow.
Thanks again for all the help.
coperam

jho410

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
I had a similar problem on my 02 CR250. I went through 1 set right after a valve job and then 2 more on one side immediately. Couldn't *see* any nicks but sanded the heck out of the tubes anyway (yes, wet sand paper, 3 different grits). Since then, haven't had a single problem.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
coperman the tape over the end of the fork tube is the right way to go-that sharp edge will destroy a new seal every time.

coperam

Mar 12, 2001
Leak seems to be fixed. The only thing I did different was using tape over the ends and freezing the seal. Went in real easy. Anyway, had a good day of riding and everything worked great. Not much mud though, so I will check them after the next mud ride.

Thanks again,
coperam

Marcad

Feb 29, 2000
I use a cut corner of a plastic bag and some seal grease. If you don't cover the end before you slip the seal over it, the seal will likely fail. I would watch that other fork leg.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…