livtoryde125

Jul 25, 2001
Hey guys, I have a great chance to get a 2001 125 e/xc for a great price. Im going to be doing hare scrambles and motocross. How does the 125e/xc stack up on the track? and what can be done to help it out?

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
Heavier springs front and rear (maybe different valving too) and different gearing. depending on how serious you are about MX I don't think it is a good bike for it. As far as woods go it is one, if not the best 125.

ktmrider

Jun 20, 2000
livtoryde,
I know from experience that it's capable of winning races. I have a 98 125 exc that I race motocross on. Here's what we did.

-FMF fatty pipe and powercore 2 silencer (gave the bike a great "hit" and better pull)
-Removed the lights and drop down rear fender
-Changed the springs front and rear to the same rate spring as on the SX in 98. (made the bike handle much better on whoops and jumps)
-dropped 3 teeth on the rear sprocket

Thats basically all we did. One tip I can give you is to start in second gear, just pin it and use the clutch to regulate the wheelspin. It will pull some pretty nice holeshots no problem. If it's a good price I would say go for it. Good Luck!

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
There are some things the SX motor and the EXC have in common, but they are not nearly the same as you think. The flywheel AND the ignition are totally different and the gaskets are different on the cylinder too. This in itself are MAJOR differences. Gearing is very different too. The 125SX is an awesome machine, maybe the best 125 ever, but not for the woods. If you really want a screamer, try the 200MXC, it rocks!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom