2001 ktm 400sx: need a bit more power

thumper144

Nov 6, 2002
My compression release on my 2001 sx 400 has broke. The actual lobe which rides on the cam chain gear has come up through the head of the engine amongst causing a bit more minor damage to other small parts involved. I havent had the bottom end checked for damage yet(hopefully none), but since I have the engine apart I would like to get a bit more power out of it. Someone suggested a high compression piston from wiseco stating that it "wakes the bike up". 1)Does anyone have any other suggestions? 2)Can I still use straight gas after bumping up the compression? 3)I also plan to change the cam roller bearings after hearing many people have had difficulty with them...what should I replace them with?

thumper144

Nov 6, 2002
Have not rejetted marcus...although I think I'm happy with the jetting(maybe previous owner may have re-jetted). The bike starts and runs well in the summer except for if you fall or stall it. I have not tried running it in colder conditions though.

Coach in ND

Mar 19, 2001
The 2001 400 SX came jetted fairly well from the factory, but you will be able to get some more performance with the OCEMN needle and some other minor brass.

I ended up with these settings in both my 2001 400 SX and 2002 400 MXC.

OCEMN needle 4th clip
170 Main
1 1/2 turns out on fuel screw
Stock pilot
Pump set at 1 sec squirt time.

Coach

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom