njg0621

Jan 30, 2004
Hey everyone. I own a 2001 kdx220 and I am looking to freshen up the top end (weisco piston & rings). My first question is, Is this the best piston to go with. My second question is that I heard that Kawasaki's sleeve is made of a special material that you should not hone at all when putting in the new piston to make for better lubrication, at most i here to you 600 grain sand paper and just barely touch it. Is my info correct? any other tips I would also appreciate. This is my first piston install. Thanks a lot, Nick

TravisP

Sep 11, 2003
Kawasaki cylinders are plated sort of all new japanese bikes use plating in there cylinders Kawasakis just happens to be the worst if you do anything yourself i would use a maroon scotchbrite pad to get the burnt oil out of the cylinder or take it to a reputable bike shop and ask there oppinion on having it ball honed all this does is get the oil of the cylinder and put the Cross hatch ( the lines in the cyclinder) back in there so oil has some place to stick to.

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
TravisP is right although I have heard mixed comments about the ball hone. I've never used one. Wiseco is a good piston for that bike.

Coolector

Nov 25, 2003
I had mine honed but without the ball hone, it may nick the intake/exause openings. A good machine shop will do it for 5-10 bucks.
I also had questions about the wiesco kit and was told that Kawi parts would be better. I elected togo with the wiesco set anyway(Price) mostly. Haven't had any prtoblems, and i rip this bike. A good break in and take care of that wiesco with good warmups.
My2cents

Bizerk

Feb 28, 2004
KDX 220's are notorious for broken piston skirts. I would recommend doing a search for this topic as it has been discussed several times before.

It is advised to definately use the Wiseco piston and not to hone the cylinder instead, as mentioned, use a Scotch Brite pad with some degreaser, I use the product called Simple Green, works good and is biodegradable. All you want to do is to remove the gum and tarnish on the cyclinder walls. The Scotchbrite pad will "scuff" the cylinder enough for proper ring/piston breakin. Kawasakis have a very thin nickle plated coating on their cylinders.
I just did a top-end on my KDX 200 and used, and did exactly this. Followed proper breakin' :aj: and all is well. Started 3rd kick :flame:

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
Yeah, the 220's-especially modded 220's- are breaking stock pistons like crazy. Haven't heard of any Wiseco's breaking on these bikes. :)

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I would highly recommend going to Just kdx forum and doing a search on topend rebuilds. Also Eric Gorr has some very helpful info on his web site and check out Canadian Dave’s just kdx web sites facts tech section. You’ll find a wealth of info. On the KDX!

BJAWES

Mar 22, 2004
The ball hone is great for 4-strokes, however not recommended on 2-strokes due to the ports. Balls on the ball hone can and have broken off while honing 2-stroke cylinders, if and when they do break your left with a twisted metal end sticking out which will put some pretty deep scratches in the cylinder wall. Also, adding a little more premix in the first tank full won't hurt either. hope this helps- bjawes

Top Bottom