Jul 22, 2004
I just bought a 2002 Honda CR250R, and would like to change the Transmission fluid. I’ve been told by three different dealers to use Honda 80w-85w gear oil, but the service manual recommends 10w-40w motor oil. Which oil should I use?

Thanks!

Crash Master

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Either will work fine. Just use quality stuff, change it often, and if you go synthetic don't use anything with "friction modifiers" or moly-anything in them. They will destroy your clutch. I use Mobil 1 full synthetic in everything I own. 15w50 in the gearbox on the 2 stroke b/c I have it around to use in the 4 stroke.

Do a search, you could read for hours on the topic.

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
I use Bel-Ray 80W in mine and that seems to work good, I used the Honda HP a couple times, but that seemed to make the bike run hotter for some reason...Used the Honda 10W-40 a couple times when I first got it also, of those three anyway, the Bel-Ray seems to work the best.

Jul 22, 2004
Thanks guys! Wow, it would seem there would be a huge difference between 10-40, and 80-85! I drained the oil last night, and it looked to me like 80w, so I'll try that first. I use Amsoil 10-40 on all my street bikes, I'll try that next.

Crash Master

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
evenslower said:
Either will work fine. Just use quality stuff, change it often, and if you go synthetic don't use anything with "friction modifiers" or moly-anything in them. They will destroy your clutch. I use Mobil 1 full synthetic in everything I own. 15w50 in the gearbox on the 2 stroke b/c I have it around to use in the 4 stroke.

Do a search, you could read for hours on the topic.

Ditto with me. I've been using Mobil 1 15w50 since the second oil change on my 01 YZ 250. It's pretty expensive, and I change every other ride, but I still have the stock clutch and have a good amount of pad left.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
I have a crf250 and I abuse the clutch on it. I started out with regular mobile 1 and found after a while that the clutch would start to slip. I have switched over to Mobile 1 ATF and haven't had a problem since.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I have good luck with the Honda 80-85 gear oil. I change every other ride and am happy with it. A friend with an '02 cr250 also uses it with good results. The 80-85wt. can be misleading, as it is not like automotive 80wt. gear oil that looks like tree sap.

Top Bottom