2002 rm 85

endomatic

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
I am going to buy a 2002 rm 85 tomorrow,any info on good jetting specs or tips to make this bike better would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Endomatic :)

chillywillyt

Jun 16, 2002
we stayed stock but i think the kind of gas and oil you run makes a difference too. We basically run sea level up here in seattle and from hat i heard a GOOD pump gas(a station that has high sales) and obviously premium octane and suzuki race tem suggests 32-1 of k-2 maxima oil. We use Amsoil at 50-1 but thats a whole new debate, as you all know what a guy runs in HIS bike is always a debate. FMF and Bills pipes have free jetting specs you can call or go to there websites and check them out

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Yep fuel type and oil makes a huge difference. Running fuels like P45 and MR2 oil ratios of 20:1 have us using a 45 pilot, #3 clip, 126 main when temps are 80 - 90 at <1000 ft.

chillywillyt

Jun 16, 2002
uh, ok i wont get into a lil argument here but was curious why you run an oil at 20-1?what is your reasoning behind this?

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
Chilly, I think its a real bad Idea to run an 80 at 50:1. You will fry the thing.

I think jaybird told me that the max was around 32:1 on an 80 or smaller bike, because they rev to like 14000 rpm's

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Chilly

Alot of discussion in the advanced forum in the past on this. I just found it to work very well. Revving into the 12-14K range is only part of it, when Junior has the bike "hooked up" on a tacky track and he is winding it up the load placed on the rod/bearing is extreme and this is where the extra lube helps IMO and others too :)

We run alot of GNCC's and offroad. Junior has run 40 minutes on "no Coolant" and finished with the head pipe literally glowing to only find minor ring sticking and small scuffs on the piston. Year before last we ran 42:1-50:1 and welded(trashed) one rod and 2 cylinders..Last year and this year is much better and we only changed oil ratio/jetting (sharp) plus Junior is much faster..

We use Amsoil 2000, XamaX or MX2T...

chillywillyt

Jun 16, 2002
we only run it 50-1 beacuse Amsoil GUARANTEES that if the bike breaks down due to lack of oil or oil integrity that they will pay for PARTS AND LABOR. We always run the castor type oils at 32-1 but using red line or amsoil they recomend 50-1 on the 80's. Amsoil also has a trail mix of 100-1 and gaurantees that also but he races the bike hard and they recommend the 50-1 racing lube for that. There aren't too many Rm riders in WA state that get on it harder than my son and we go through 12 gallons a week in gas and have only had to change one RING and lower end is perfect. Since using red lin and now our Amsoil we have never blown a top/bottom/or anything in the bike. I think if we ran it at 20-1 we would lean it out( if that sounds weird, you wouldnt understand) and it just wouldnt werk. I knew this would create controversy but running redline or amsoil at 50-1, theres NO WAY of blowing the bottom end

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Hey Chill...

No controversy here. I use alot of Amsoil here...fleet and bikes. They say 50:1 is more than adequate. So be it.
I would never want to try and prove an oil related failure on a 2 Stroke though. I think it would be near impossible. My 99 300 MXC Ktm has just lunched a rod and it had a steady diet since new of Amsoil. Is it oil related ... maybe...Not.... just tired iron. Our 99 RM was on it's 8th Race when the rod went...Amsoil 2000 50:1. Amsoil Warranty claim.. again...no way to prove it..red oil still in bottom end. My point is the warranty says something but in my race bike it is next to worthless in my $ 60,000 Tow truck it means alot...since I send Amsoil oil analysis every year to docuement how well there oil works and it does.

Oh yeah...running 20:1 does lean out the fuel/air mix but notice that I use Race fuel and when all things come together that stuff burns completely requiring less fuel to make the proper power.

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
Agree with Mike S., better to error on the rich side. We run are RM85 @ 32:1, but we do more mx that hs or gncc. Top end on the 85 lasted till this wed. when the water pump seal went. Been running original top end since Dec.

chillywillyt

Jun 16, 2002
like i always say, seems when the guy next to you in the pits asks you what you run in your bike, he really doesn't want to know, he wants to debate oil fuel ratio's and octane ratings! I think the bottom line to all of this is that Suzuki race team suggests a 32-1 ratio of 92 octane on an unmodified engine........but all of us have tried our little chemistry and have found the best mixture that works for US...and in OUR bike.......just another thing that makes the sport and these bike so damn interesting to be around.

rmrider07

Mar 30, 2005
I have a rm85 and i like to run 50:1 with kerosine and amsoil because it has awesome power gains and makes your bike last longer. I race at a local track and not a lot of people now this secret and wonder how I win so much.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
another reason why guys like the 18 or 20 to 1 is because the oil helps seal the rings and show more power because of the ring seal.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…