mr73

Nov 30, 2002
Hello everyone!! I have not been on this forum in a long time!! :bang: I have a 2003 CRF450 that I rode only 5 or 6 times . It has been sitting for about 1 year because I have had NO time to ride. I want to fire it back up this weekend but am afraid I will mess the motor up . I still have old gas in the tank(about 1 gallon 91 octane) I did change the gear oil and engine oil after I rode it the last time, so there is brand new oil in the motor and gear box. Should I just drain the tank ,put fresh gas and fire it up? I can't wait to start riding again :ride:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
franco 450r said:
It has been sitting for about 1 year Should I just drain the tank ,put fresh gas and fire it up? QUOTE]

franco.

You might want to drain the carb also. Remove the little cap at the bottom of the float bowl and let some fresh gas run through.

If it won't start or won't idle, you may have a clogged pilot jet. If it has been sitting that long there is a good chance the gas in the carb has turned to schmuck. Chances are, you will have to remove the jets and clean them. Make sure you can see daylight through the little hole in the pilot jet.

Just my $ .02

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
If you live in a climate that sees temperature extremes in both directions it would be a good idea to change both the engine and trans oil. Chances are that condensation has formed on the inside of the cases and has diluted the oil.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom